spacing for seats and thwarts 16 foot 1946 OT HW?

jletsche

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi I'm restoring an 1946 OT HW 16 foot.

The inwales where pretty rotten and had many different bolt holes in them. Over the years, it had different seats and thwarts put in different spots, using different kinds of bolts. It was impossible to see the original diamond head indentions.

Measuring along an inwale, what is the spacing for the seats and thwarts? This does not need to be precise down to the 1/4 inch, but I would like a ballpark number for each component. (it has the carry handles too, but those where intact, so I know where they go. )

Thanks

John.

Happen to have a OT 16 ft HW hanging from the living room ceiling. Doesn't everyone?
so I measured from the point where the deck hits the wale for the forward seat , straight line, not along the wale.
right side 37 3/4 " to forward seat brace bolt center then 13 1/8th more right side center of bolts on thwart
left side 38 1/8 " to center of seat forward brace, then 13 " to bolt center on thwart.

Rear, right side. again spot where deck meets wale, 10 1/2 inch to read seat brace center bolt, go 41 1/4 " more to thwart
left side; 10 1/2 " then 40 7/8ths to thwart

No idea why the sides don't match
Tim

Have you sighted this canoe from the ends to see if it has twisted slightly?

Benson

I sighted down
the canoe. I stretched a string from end to end. Seems to be a straight canoe even while it does have sponsons and the sponsons were off to put on new canvas.

Back