Serial Number 16 1004 - Charles River?

SmjLuke

New member with an old canoe. We have owned a wood & canvas canoe for a number of years. It is hung in our store to help set the theme in our lake resort town setting. We would like to learn more about it.

My knowledge base is limited to reading many of the posts here since recently registering. I will try to provide descriptions using your terminology. The canoe is 16 ft. The bow deck resembles a J.R. Robertson detail that is shown on the Dragonfly website. No Diamond Head bolts are observed. The gunwales are closed with the bottom inside (inwale ?) beveled 45% at about 3/16th inch. No builder’s plates or decals are noted. The wood is course grained and is possibly oak.

The varnish/finish on the woodwork appears dusty (not shiny or new) and no restoration is noted, not that I would know anyway. Exterior varnish (?) shows large checks with a few sections missing, down to a dark gray undercoat of paint. Wood appears to be in good condition throughout without dry rot. Dirty, but way up inside, the bow stem just looks like a sound old dry piece of unfinished wood. Serial number is stamped into both stems, 16 1004.

During one of the annual antique boat shows on our lake, a gentleman came in and used the name Nutting of Waltham though the deck is nothing like the Nutting shown by Dragonfly. Several have placed their names and contacts inside the boat “Just in case…”

Wish me luck in posting some photos for you to reference. Additional photos and close ups of details are available if anyone would find them helpful.

Attachments

• C1 Canoe 16  1004.jpg
    C1 Canoe 16 1004.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 233
  • C2 Serial Number  16   1004.jpg
    C2 Serial Number 16 1004.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 207
  • C3 Bow Deck.jpg
    C3 Bow Deck.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 215
  • C4 Stern Interior.jpg
    C4 Stern Interior.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 208
Robertson once built the body for a Stanley Steamer that set the world land speed record (essentially an upside-down canoe – see Wooden Canoe issues 109:6-11 and 110:5)

so maybe he also built a canoe that could be paddled fast enough to pull someone on those water skis? :D

In any event, a very nice canoe, whatever it is.

The deck is typical of that used by J.R. Robertson, as well as Waltham Boat and Canoe Company and H.E. Crandell. This is not as surprising as it may seem, as Waltham was run by Robertson's nephew until it burned down in 1912, and Howard Crandell was Robertson's son-in-law (Crandell only built 17-foot canoes).

The wide thwart with the straight edge (for leaning a seat back against) is also typical of Robertson.

definitely Charles River

SmjLuke
As others indicated, it is a Charles River builder. It looks a lot like my 16' Robertson 'Irene'. When you take it down and outside maybe we can be of more help...but I'd also suggest knowing exactly which builder isn't that big a deal as they all made fine canoes with extra style. It looks like a great canoe. Check closely on the wide thwart right along the gunnel for very small type identification as J R Robertson.

Guess I'm out of practice on the forum...deleted my photos of the Robertson too...here they are:

Attachments

• DSC03120.jpg
    DSC03120.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 182
  • Irene 2.jpg
    Irene 2.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Irene.jpg
    Irene.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Irene3.jpg
    Irene3.jpg