Serial number 12875

Pvansch1

Hello,
This Old Town canoe has been meticulously restored. We acquired it by winning a raffle. I have a copy of the original build sheet. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Peter

Attachments

• 0110161937.jpg
    0110161937.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 210
Hello Peter, and congratulations on winning a beautiful canoe! Although you already have the build record, I looked it up anyway and will explain the cryptic messages as best I can, for those who wonder what those letters and numbers indicate.

This is the place for "additional information", and others may jump in with their thoughts. I suggest getting a copy of Sue Audette's book on the history of the Old Town Company-- it'll help you appreciate your canoe even more. The book is available in the WCHA online store. http://store.wcha.org/The-Old-Town-Canoe-Company.html

I'm including page 10 of the 1910 Old Town catalog, which is part of the Old town canoe Company catalog collection on CD-ROM, edited by Benson Gray and Dan Miller-- also available through the online store.

You can also use the "search" function in the right hand corner of this page to look up past posts about canoes like yours, or any other questions you might have. Or post here again-- we learn from each other, and some of the folks here have a lot of information to share.

What I see on your build record is this: Old Town 12875 is a 16 foot CS (common sense or middle) grade Charles River model canoe that came off the form in November of 1909 and was completed by June of 1910. It has red Western cedar planking, closed spruce gunwales. Decks, thwarts, and seat frames are also spruce. The canoe was originally painted dark green and was shipped with two spruce paddles (still there?). It was shipped to Bantam, Connecticut on July 16, 1910.

Pictures? We love pictures.

Kathy

Attachments

• ot12875.jpg
    ot12875.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 181
  • ot chas river 1910.jpg
    ot chas river 1910.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 199
Kathy,
Thank you for the update. The weather her in CT has not been conducive to giving it a good inpection, it was delivered in the pouring rain so the canoe is tucked away safely in the garage. Hopefully Sunday we can get it out for a closer inspection and some pictures. It is the second restoration the restorer has done to this canoe. There is pleasant spar varnish smell permeating in the garage from it (I make bamboo fly rods as a hobby, know the smell ;)). He did deliver two paddles as they were on the original paperwork, he said they of like kind as to what would have come with it.
Bantam, CT is not far from where we live (Canton, CT). Our use will be on West Hill Pond or the Farmington River. It may also spend some time up on Lake Sunapee New Hampshire.
Regards, Peter

It would also be good to confirm the extreme overall length in a straight line when you get it out on Sunday. This serial number is also shared by a 15 foot long Carleton canoe from 1918 and a 17 foot Kennebec from 1919.

Benson

Back