Seal outwales where they meet the canvas?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
How do you folks treat the bottom of the outwales where they meet the canvas? It sure would be nice to seal up this area to prevent water seeping in between the canvas & outwales when, for example, the canoe is stored upside down. A squeeze of caulk sealer would do the trick but I fear it'd be tough to remove when it's time to recanvas. I've heard of one fella who adds an extra painting step to cover this area once the outwales are installed, but that can't truly seal the area. And bedding compound might be too runny. Thoughts?

I always treat the the inside of gunwales that I install with a coat of epoxy before installing as it seems most of these old boats rot from the inside out due to water, sand and dirt getting in places and holding moisture.

I always treat the the inside of gunwales that I install with a coat of epoxy before installing as it seems most of these old boats rot from the inside out due to water, sand and dirt getting in places and holding moisture.

Hey Rod - so . . . you just brush on a thin coat? Do you bother varnishing before?

I tend to varnish the outside of trim after installed since I usually sand the top sides all together. Then I mask off hull and apply varnish. I am not one of those that like to paint the underside of the gunwales.

I varnish the rails inside and out. I typically put 5 plus coats of varnish on the rails but only two or three on the back sides. On a new build I varnish the back sides before installing them and then finish them on the boat.
I do not use caulk or sealer on the rails. I think that would allow water to sit behind them.
I did apply caulk on the underside of my Morris rails when I did that boat 25 or so years ago and I have regretted it ever since. I'm not quite sure what motivated me to do it but I am not sure that it was worth the effort. It does (the caulk line) make masking for paint a PITA.

My thinking also.

On a new build I varnish the back sides before installing them and then finish them on the boat.
I do not use caulk or sealer on the rails. I think that would allow water to sit behind them.

I'd be very selective about when and where to use epoxy on a W/C. Seems it could make future repair/refinish much harder.

One coat of good marine epoxy IHMO is as good as 3 coats of varnish.

Dan

Thanks all. I apply the Git-Rot stuff if there's any rot that's not bad enough to need replacing. And I too apply several coats of varnish to the rails. Now feel less guilty/lazy at leaving it at that.

The only place I use epoxy to seal is on the inside of the gunwales and inside of keel (side that faces the boat) I do use it as glue to scarf rib tops or new gunwales where I am not able to find full length lumber.

Back