Picture of a Carleton name plate?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I'm having no luck locating a name plate for my Carleton. But it occurs to me that if I could get a good picture of one I could make a water-transfer decal of it. It won't be as good as the real thing - but it's as good as I'm likely to get for quite a while. And I can always remove it if I ever stumble on the real thing.

So... can some of you get your hands on a Carleton name plate long enough to take some really good digital pictures? The image needs to be taken straight on and well focused, and with a good amount of pixel resolution. And without a flash so there's no glare.

I'm also looking for the same type of pic of a Penn Yan decal.

I have some original Carleton tags as shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2196&d=1162173431 and can easily supply a high resolution image for free if you tell me the format and number of dots per inch (DPI) that you require. I also worked with a bronze casting house several years ago to have some reproduction plates created as shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5292&d=1215183768 in the middle on the right side. I have responded to your private message with more details about this. I don’t have any Penn Yan decals or scans. Let me know how you want to proceed. Thanks,

Benson

Thank you so much for the images. My Carleton's front deck has 4 holes in roughly a 1"x3" pattern, with the remains of one small nail still in place. Seeing that the plate was tacked in place explains why the 4 hole pattern is a bit skewed from true square and doesn't exactly match the holes in the images you sent. But nevertheless I'm guessing the missing plaque was the larger of the 2 images you sent me - from your scale I make it 3 5/16" x 1 5/16". Does that seem right for a 1922 model?

I was able to do a screen dump of your images & print them out. They don't look half bad just as they are! Can you provide me the original images? - I assume they are in .jpg format, but whatever. You could send them via email but I'm sure the bit count will be automatically reduced. Do you have DropBox on your PC? If not, would you like to get it? It's a great (and free) way to share files between different PCs. This way I'd be able to see the exact same file you have. If you like I could send you an email 'inviting' you to sign up for it, and this would allow you & I to share a folder. Then all you'd need to is pop the image in this folder & send an email to me asking me to 'share' it. I managed to do it once - we could figure it out. If you're willing that is. Let me know.

Oh - you also mentioned that you have made castings. (I'm wincing as I type this 'case I know it's gonna hurt!) How much $? Oh - how thick are these castings? Are they thin enough so they can be bent to conform to the deck's shape without cracking?

Yes, the larger tag was commonly used on the Carleton canoes from the 1920s and there are two files with higher resolution scans in your DropBox folder now. The reproduction plates are slightly narrower but about the same thickness so can easily bend to confirm to the slight curve of the deck. Please send me an example if you successfully make a decal from this. Thanks,

Benson

Back