Shell Lake decals and plates

Goldenbadger

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm wondering if the Shell Lake canoes built in 1942 had a decal or brass plate. I have found pictures of both, but I don't know which (if either) would be suitable to put on my 1942 Shell Lake. Any ideas? This is a photo the decal I have found. Is this the only decal they had for their canoes? I have also seen a brass plate. I am posting a pic of the brass plate as well. I found the pic somewhere on the discussion forums here. I apologize to whoever I stole the picture from. I cannot remember where on here I found it.

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 199
  • decal_cropped.jpg
    decal_cropped.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 198
You may just have to guess if you don't have enough of the original bow deck to check for nail holes or outlines. Their catalogs don't seem to offer any help as you probably know. I have been researching the transitions in Old Town and Carleton nameplates for many years but still don't have solid answers even though many more examples and records are available. One decal transition appears to have taken nearly twenty years. Most other canoe companies had stopped using metal name plates by the 1940s. Good luck,

Benson

Last edited:
Thank you, Benson. Do you have any ideas on where I can get a replica of the decal made? I know you can buy special decal paper for printers, but I don't have any sort of graphics program to be able to make the decal.

Do you have any ideas on where I can get a replica of the decal made?

If you don't have a good graphics program (or a desire to get and learn one) then a local sign shop is probably your best option. They usually work in vinyl but this can work if you trim the edges carefully and varnish well over it. The WCHA store might be interested in a few if it comes out well. Please keep us posted.

Benson

Thank you, Dave and Benson! The website looks awesome. I'm sure they would be able to do the decal. I'll need to find out if they have a minimum batch size. A friend of mine also suggested trying our local technical college. Maybe there are some graphics arts students there that would be willing to do it. I will for sure keep you posted with what I find.

Back