Newbie with Huron serial number...

jeffmutch

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and am seeking help identifying the age and rough value of a canoe I picked up off Craigslist a few months ago. I'm guessing I'm about the 5th owner, I'll give you any information I have. Sorry, no pictures yet...

-serial number is 125324M87
-The brass plate on the bow says:
Est. 1842
Made for you
Leslie H. Clow
by Maurice Picard Jr.
Huron Indian
-It is now covered in fiberglass but may have been canvas covered at one point. (assuming that takes the value down quite drastically...)
-It is in decent condition, one small leak on the bottom from a rock I imagine, but still works great.
-13 feet in length
-previous owners have painted their names and a picture of a beaver on the sides but is only under a couple layers of varnish and probably not difficult to remove.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to decide whether to restore it, sell it, or use it until it no longer floats. Thanks!

Hello--

If you go to http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/ and scroll to "Huron" on the left, you'll find some information. Also, there's a discussion of "value" in the FAQs secion of these forums. Others will jump in with what they know from personal experience with canoes like yours. I hope you're able to use it this summer! The sunshine today has me itching to get out on the water!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy!

I actually found that site just after posting my question above... So now what I'm wondering is how rare or "run of the mill" Huron canoes are. It seems that can make a big difference. I had a guy stop me the other day and tell me it's worth $7,000 but I have a hard time believing that...

Can anyone tell me when Maurice Picard Jr. was building for Huron? Maybe giving me an approximate age. Also, any information on Huron that isn't easily found on Google would be appreciated!

-Jeff

You should have sold the canoe to the guy for seven grand... well, unless it's an extremely old all-wood, three board vessel or something like that. The general rule is that if you are paying another person to restore your canoe, don't expect to be able to sell it for what it cost to restore it, unless you have a Rushton or Gerrish or another extremely rare quality-built canoe. I know of one canoe that sold for seven thousand... but getting that much for a canoe is truly rare. Expect to enjoy your canoe and pass it on to your kids, as the symbol of fun that it is.

I don't know that much about the Canadian builders, but someone will jump in with answers for you.

Kathy

If you did not also get a check for $7K from your sidewalk appraiser, their opinion is meaningless... unfortunately, it happens all the time! To get a good idea of value, just look at the classified ads at http://classifieds.wcha.org or look at what many of the fine current-day builders are charging for new canoes - links to the WCHA Member-Builders are found here: http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/

In my experience, rarity makes little impact on the value of canvas canoes (or canoes where glass has been substituted for canvas). Name recognition plays a bigger role, and for canvas covered canoes Rushton, Morris and Gerrish tend to be at the top of the heap due to quality of construction and age. Old Town is up there, because everyone has heard of them.

The "Huron" canoes tend to be second-tier in terms of construction quality (primarily from a cosmetic standpoint), but have the reputation of being excellent paddling canoes. This can of course differ between models...

I am guessing your canoe was built in 1987, based on the serial number. I am not familiar with Maurice Picard, Jr., but I expect he is a son or grandson of Louis Picard. The is an undated Picard and Brothers brochure on the Canadian Catalogs digital collection available from WCHA, but it only shows a 14' canoe. "Huron" refers to the location (Village de Hurons) in Quebec where a number of builders established, Picard being on of about four families involved with canoe and snowshoe building.

Back