18' Old Town? serial number 146538 18 I think, or possibly 146533 18

swededoc

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,

First time to the site, and first time owning a wood and canvas canoe--it's been a dream for over 40 years. She needs a fair amount of work however. Seller says it's an Old Town but I understand that a few other manufacturers used the same numbering system. It's definitely an 18'er, but at some point the hull was covered with fiberglass which has seen better days. Looks like 3 or 4 ribs are cracked, one plank is shot and maybe 15% of the planking has a little separation from the ribs. The inwales and gunwales are totally shot. They were replaced at some point in 5' lengths with poor splices. There may be a little rot at the tops of the ribs as well. BUT, the hull has a very true and fair shape (maybe the fiberglass is holding it there). In addition, someone thought it would be a good idea to paint the interior. As I said, she needs a lot of work. My plan at this point is to develop a plan for restoration :) Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm a finish carpenter/woodworker by trade so I'm looking forward to it.

What's the best way to clean up the area where the serial number is imprinted to get a better reading? I could sand and brush it lightly perhaps with a brass brush (the entire interior has been painted) or use some stripper since I intend to strip it all anyway. I'm guessing it's white cedar, so pretty soft.

Back