Need Canadian vacation location

Tom Widney

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have been given the task, by my 85 year old mother, to find a location for our family vacation. The only requirement is that it’s in Canada. We typically rent a house; everyone in the family gets their turn to choose a location. We typically take the vacation sometime in September after the rates go down and before the shops close, but we are flexible on that note. I am the only canoe person so thats not an issue but enough of us do sail, usually renting for the day.
We are not looking for remoteness, but something more in the line of a small village with enough to do, day activities for the guys and enough shops/restaurants for a day of it for the ladies. We are a six to eight adult party with no children.
I am looking for Canadian vacation location suggestions from any WCHAr’s who know of someplace which would fit the bill. My own thoughts tend to lead to the Pacific NW, where I’ve never been... maybe even an Island off the coast. Also Quebec appeals to me, as I haven’t been since the 1967 Olympics and thought then how cool it was that they spoke French, another layer of culture. Our last vacation was in Bar Harbor Maine but hey, if there a cool spot on the East coast, I’m all ears. I’m open to any and all suggestions about any neat Canadian location.
Thanks,
Tom

I would head to Cape Breton or PEI. Bay of Fundy tides on the way. Fabulous scenery. Bah Hahbah by the way is NOT in Maine. Hate the place myself.

How much travel would you do while here? It would be worth considering how much of an area you would like to see - would you want a place based on attractions or places of interest within a reasonable distance and treat it like a base camp, or would you prefer to stay local to your destination?

I would suggest St. Andrews. Lot's to do in the area including access to Lubec and Campabello by ferry. You can explorwe up the Fundy coast from there or down to Moosehorn.
I would say Campabello except for your need to be in/near a village. PEI is also nice but such a haul to see a big bridge.
Bah Haba or Camden are great places if you want to blend with other tourists.

Andre, we would probably would like to remain local for the most part, MGC, which Province are we talking about? The small town/village was more of a choice of words rather than a requirement. Larry, Map Quest shows Cape Brenton is located in Nova Scotia what’s the attraction?
Thanks for the input guys, keep the suggestions coming remember I’m from New Mexico and not that familiar with Canadian geography so I need the name of the Province included in the suggestion.
Tom

A MGC, which Province are we talking about? I’m from New Mexico and not that familiar with Canadian geography so I need the name of the Province included in the suggestion.
Tom

Sorry about that. Here is a Google Maps snap shot of the area.
It's New Brunswick. As you can see, you are in striking distance from Calais, the St. Croix River (a nice easy two day paddle with some mild riffs along the way. Read about it on the Paddling website).
St. Andrews is on the bay and within driving distance of the Hopewell Rocks, Fundy Park, Moosehorn preserve, Campabello (take the ferry) and lot's of other things. It's a nice area to visit.
http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/things_to_do/

Attachments

• St. Andrews.JPG
    St. Andrews.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
You could check out Ontario too....lots of great paddling, plus great cottages you can rent....Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough....Algonquin Park...Temagami....Georgian Bay....Muskoka/Haliburton....could try Near North which covers many of these areas

Well for my money some of the most beautiful ocean coast in the world is Maine and the Canadian Maritime Provinces—Nova Scotia, New Brunswick. The hard thing is to get some of it to yourself for long enough to see some sunrises and moon rises, etc. over it. Walk some beaches, hike over some rocks, smell some saltwater, see some seals. NOT be there as a tourist. Bah Hahba (and even Acadia now) is too much like a trip to the mall.

Last I was in Cape Breton was maybe 78, my wife and I on our first vacation of any sort. Camping on the way at Bay of Fundy Park, stopping at Campobello, (FDR's vocation home, where he came down with polio), then up to Cape Breton, which is what I imagine Scotland looks like. Cape Breton and PEI feature the warmest saltwater on the Atlantic Coast above North Carolina (Gulf Stream effect), so I remember some wonderful swimming in a cove by the provincial park where we camped. Then on PEI, a long northern shore of sandy beach. rust colored potatoes, and Malpeque Bay oysters, and Brussel Sprouts that were cooked good.

Larry, as I remember Cape Breton Island, most of the villages there are very tiny fishing villages with maybe one or two stores -- not the sort of thing Tom describes as wanted by his female cohorts. It might even be hard to rent a sail boat Halifax, or a small village near Halifax, on Nova Scotia proper, might better serve the needs of his group. If Halifax is too big, Yarmouth or Digby (or small villages nearby) might do the trick.

Tom should be aware that the Canadian provinces all provide lots of good travel information for the asking -- a visit to the web site for any province he might be interested will give lots of useful information.

Yeah, well maybe I am just saying its worth considering. Vacations to distant places are always hard to assess a head of time. So often the best of their moments are just serendipity. I vacationed one place in Maine for 15 years with my family and I would go back there at the drop of a hat anytime and feel happier there than in Paris or on the Grand Canyon.

Larry -- no argument. I've been to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton four times over the years, and love it -- a very special place for anyone who wants a maritime vacation. And any paddler might consider a trip to western Nova Scotia's Kejimkujik National Park, with its focus on canoes and canoe camping.

Back