CANADIAN CANOE MUSEUM in Peterborough Ontario

MackyM

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Last week I had to go up to West Virginia for business. Since, we were already so far north we decided to visit the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough Ontario. Mike Ormsby introduced us to Ann Wipper and she gave us a personal tour of the museum. Kirk Wipper her husband and Founder of the museum had recently passed away but, she was still up for the tour. She knows the history of the many canoes and the stories behind their acquistions. She is one of the most charming ladies you will ever meet. We were also allowed access to a warehouse behind the museum where an additional 600 canoes are kept. There was everything from dugouts to carbon fiber, 11' to 65' long canoes. If you are in to canoes, this is a must see!

Last edited:
Canadian canoe museum - photos

A few photos of the Museum.

Attachments

• CANADA 260.JPG
    CANADA 260.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 222
  • CANADA 261.JPG
    CANADA 261.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 233
  • CANADA 269.JPG
    CANADA 269.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 221
  • CANADA 164.JPG
    CANADA 164.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 237
  • CANADA 328.JPG
    CANADA 328.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 241
What a wonderful experience, Macky! Thanks for the pictures. The CCM is a beautiful place-- exhibits are impressive. I love that there are places to sit and watch a video that describes something... this isn't a museum to hurry through.

'Taint exactly a hop-skip-and-jump from West Virginia to Peterborough - should have given a shout on your way through the Thousand Islands!

5 minutes less than 31 hours back to Clearwater, FL. I will plan two days drive time for the next trip.

Macky it was great to meet you and Patty....and I'm glad you got to meet Ann....and that she was able to take you through the CCM....she is an amazing lady....and listening to her tell the stories behind the canoes was like hearing Kirk talk about them....a great resource....the CCM is a very special place as Kathryn points out....

Last edited:
Of course, Macky you should mention that your whirlwind trip to Ontario and back was not just to see CCM....you picked up two beautiful 'new' old Chestnut canoes too....and saw more of Ontario in a few days than most who live up this way do in months....seriously though next time, we'll have to make sure you leave yourself more time for a more leisurely pace

Of course, Macky you should mention that your whirlwind trip to Ontario and back was not just to see CCM....you picked up two beautiful 'new' old Chestnut canoes too....and saw more of Ontario in a few days than most who live up this way do in months....seriously though we'll make sure you leave yourself more time for a more leisurely pace

Back