Morris Keel Dimensions

divedog

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Can anyone share the dimensions for a ca. 1905-08 Morris keel? Height, width, taper, cove width and depth? Also, what woods did Morris typically use? Would Mahogany be OK? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thanks for your time, Sweetwater. This is my first canoe, so I don't want to screw it up too bad!

Hello Mike. My guess is that wood species and dimension may have changed over the years Morris produced canoes. Denis Kallery and I had a Morris Molitor and the original keel appeared to be mahogany (it was painted and in pieces) but we got a nice long oak board for making the keel. Someone will probably jump in with dimensions for you, but it will probably be the same as an Old Town, as it was that type of keel. I have an old Morris (early 1890s) that has a shoe keel, so it seems they experimented. Some folks here leave the keel off these days.... personal choice. It seems to me that things like whether or not to have a keel are like paint color, and even a precise restoration could include personal choice in this, as the original owner got to choose these things. Anyway, someone who really has an answer for you should eventually be along.

Kathy

I would leave the keel off. Once you learn to paddle fairly well, you will regret having a keel on. They are like training wheels on a bike. They help you do one thing just a little bit and that is paddle straight. They impede maneuverability a lot however. See how it paddles without the keel and put one on later if you don't like how it handles without one.

Outside Stems?

If your Morris has outside stems and you want to keep them you will need to reinstall the keel. I have Sweetwater's Morris handy and will try and get dimensions for you. My impression is that it is more dainty than an Old Town keel. I need to brave the snow piles to go get a look.

Cheers,

Fitz

Keel Dimensions

The Morris that I am looking at is a later Morris I believe. It has white oak outside stems and an ash keel as far as I can tell. The canoe has possibly been recanvassed at some point, so it is possible the keel is a replacement. If it is, it was done very well, so I tend to doubt it. I have not removed the keel yet to see if it has a cove for bedding compound.

The dimensions are: 7/8's inches wide at the base of the keel against the canoe hull. The keel is 5/8's inches high, and the bottom of the keel is 1/2 inch wide. There is a slight taper in the keel to meet the end of the outside stem. It tapers from 7/8's to 5/8's in 14 inches at each end. The keel is butt jointed against the ends of the outside stem. I did not notice a taper in the thickness of the keel when meeting the outside stem. If you need photos or additional information, just shout.

I have a Morris with the original keel, but I can't easily get to it at this point. The canoe is also a later Morris and it is on the To Do list. If I see any differing dimensions in the next month or so I will reply.

Cheers,

Fitz

Thanks Fitz! Much appreciated! Those dimensions match the piece of Mahogany I took off. I didn't dream I had anything original, because it was so much smaller than the Old Town keels described in other threads, and does not have a cove. I think I'll add a cove, to make use of the bedding compound I bought.

I agree with Larry that a keel is not necessary, but since mine had one, and has the holes through every rib, I think I'll put on a new piece of Mahogany.

And Kathy, thanks again for another dose of inspiration!

Back