morris in ireland

flyfisher

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I was looking for a wooden canoe to teach myself how to build a cedarstrip project, seen a wood canvas for sale liked the shape so bought it not

knowing which make it was. It has a splayed stem with a brass tag number 572, closed darkwood gunnels, heartshape deck, appears to have had

none of the origional rivets or nails replaced. From all the material researched I think I may be lucky to have found this canoe in Ireland. Unfortunately

I may have to replace the canvass but I bought it to learn more to begin with, would appreciate your help. Flyfisher

How cool! I'd love to see pictures of this canoe. If the tag is on the stem and is a rectangle (with clipped corners) it may be missing some digits or the canoe could be a Veazie Canoe Company canoe, which is a Morris that was shipped factory-direct instead of sold through a dealer. At any rate, this canoe can teach us something!

thank you for your reply I will post pictures soon, I am intrigued to identify the make and history of this beautiful craft. I cannot believe I am the owner of a work of art I just enjoy looking at it. Great website, all the information and advice is here plus the enthusiasm of members.

photos at last

some pictures to try to identify history of this canoe, canvas looks poor ribs and
planking appear sound though very dry from inside.

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 275
  • IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG0077.jpg
    IMAG0077.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 250
Very nice! You're correct that it's made by Morris, but that's a new (to me) deck pattern. Search "Morris deck" and "Veazie deck" on these forums and you'll see a variety of other styles. Your canoe is in truly excellent condition despite the decaying canvas. You're very fortunate to have found the canoe and it's fortunate to that you - someone with great appreciation - found it.

- Horace

Flyfisher,

I sent you a private message about possibly being available to help you re-canvas. Did you get it?

Hello again!

This canoe is likely a Veazie, which is the Morris-built factory-direct canoe. I base this on the low serial number on a rectangular plate on the stem and the "keyhole" type deck. Your canoe has three pairs of cant ribs, and comparing it with other Morris-built canoes it would date no earlier than 1905 but possibly no later than the early 19-teens (the deck-style changes then to the curve used on later BN Morris canoes).

Veazie canoes commonly have maple decks, thwarts, and seat frames that are stained to look like mahogany-- although the trim could be mahogany if a buyer ordered that. Let me know what the trim might be. Gunwales are usually mahogany-stained spruce.

Yours is one of nine Veazie canoes in the database. It appears to be in great shape!

Kathy

Take Mark up on his offer!

Flyfisher,

I sent you a private message about possibly being available to help you re-canvas. Did you get it?

Mark helped me re-canvas my Morris replica and made it seem easy. If you can, I encourage you to take him up on his offer -- he knows what he's doing and is a great guy as well.

Back