Kennebec & serial number needs info.

mermaid

Hello, My old Kennebec canoe has its original metal tag with serial number, 16894. I purchased the wood canoe from an estate auction in Northern VT., have restored the canoe and would appreciate any further info. from the archives to add to its history. She's a Beauty. Thank you in advance for the research and this great association. 3 Cheers to those who love old boats! Best regards, Chris the mermaid.

The Kennebec canoe with serial number 16894 is shown on page 181 of volume three in the Kennebec ledgers. This was assigned to a 16 foot long Kennebec model, type 3a with mahogany gunwales and outside stems. It was planked by Polgorskoy(?) on November 18th, 1922 and the canvas covering was applied by Tuttle on the same day. The first filler coat was applied by Grant on the November 25th, 1922. The second filler coat was applied by Thibadeau on January 12th, 1923. It was railed by Mansell on on June 12th, 1926. The original color appears to be "De Luxe" so please post a picture here if it still has an unusual paint design. It shipped to location "26-539" on June 16th, 1926. This location is probably an order number but we don't currently have enough information to identify it.

The scans of these build records can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA). I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

More information about this and other Kennebec models can be found in the Kennebec catalogs contained on the Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CDs available from http://www.wcha.org/catalog/ and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm on the web.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• k-16894-a.gif
    k-16894-a.gif
    692.6 KB · Views: 230
  • k-16894-b.gif
    k-16894-b.gif
    524 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Reply about canoes history and color

Wonderful! Thank you both Benson and Dave. I figured the date of build might be c. 1920 but this exact documentation helps establish better provenance for any future owner, but she's mine till death!
I am assuming the original owner was the elderly Mr. Fuller who's estate was auctioned at his large Victorian home with attached barn in Barton, Vt. His daughter and her adult children, all strangers to me, were kind enough to say at the time of my winning bid that they were happy to know the canoe was passing to someone like me, a VT local, who was so excited to win a "dream boat come true" and who would cherish and care for their Grandfather's old canoe and alternatively, they did not want to see the canoe just go to an anonymous antique dealer to resell it to who knows who. Those words of gratitude were a tender mercy at an obviously reflective and sad time for the family dispersing hierlooms. I was told Grandfather Fuller enjoyed paddling the old Kennebec all around Lake Memphremagog, in VT and Canada.
The color of the Kennebec at time of purchase Aug 1 1998 was Red, but there was no extra detailing of any sort that might correlate to the 'De Luxe' notation on the build papers. Not sure if the paint job was in fact original but it looked old. The interior was in excellent shape. Canoe was carefully cleaned, a few minor repairs, the front caned seat position was moved backwards for more knee room (my husband helped with hardware). Some repairs to canvas, fresh coat of Vermillion and extensive bright work completed. Photos attached but not the best quality,not sure if cropping worked, sorry.
This canoe with its rather cantilevered/upward tapered bow and stern end design is very stunning to see on the water, the mahogany decks and cedar interior wood have are a rich patina coloring, she is a beautiful and resplendent ride...Would love to receive some opinions on its value as I'm sure I paid way too much, but Love is Love and I'm thrilled! Thank you all.

Attachments

• Kennebec canoe dock side.jpg
    Kennebec canoe dock side.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 232
  • Kennebec canoe lake view.jpg
    Kennebec canoe lake view.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Kennebec canoe plate number.jpg
    Kennebec canoe plate number.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I love that you are connected to the history of this beautiful canoe-- not only were you given her history, but the family passed her to you, knowing she'd be in good hands. You are not only caretaker of the canoe as a physical object, but of her store of happy memories and of the places where she was paddled. Part of the enjoyment of an old canoe, for me, is knowing the boat is filled with stories. I may not know them all, but I can add to them. An old canoe is poetry, even if you don't know all the words.

Your pictures show a very beautiful canoe... I love the way outside stems define the upswept bow and stern. You certainly have a treasure.

Kathy

Seat changes...

Thank you Benson & Kathy for your kind comments. The canoe is so much prettier than my old limited photos can show taken on a gray day. Was it wrong, back in 1998 while working on making it water ready, to modify the bow seat backwards and the stern seat forward a few inches? My husband helped me as he is a careful and exacting carpenter by trade and the repositioning of the seats went along smoothly...but I do know you really should not refinish or do too much to alter antiques. My hubby just reminded me we in fact moved both seats for needed knee and normal butt room (original positions would only fit very petite people, we are todays average size) and saved the original brass fittings. The canoe is in storage at present but we think we dropped the seats a little to rebolt into the gunwales? Whats your honest opinion? I figure we had to make an executive decision to best enjoy the paddle.

Most antique canoes are in the same category as a Model T Ford--- which is to say, a restoration that takes the canoe back to original condition--- including refinishing wood and polishing metal--- doesn't affect "value" in a negative way. The idea is to make the canoe usable again... and an old canoe can become "like new" or even better than when it left the factory.

If altering seat-position makes the canoe more usable/functional for you, then it's the thing to do.... it's now part of the history of this canoe. Keeping any parts that have been removed is a good thing, though... because they are part of the canoe's history.

The canoes that perhaps should not be altered are those very rare vessels by builders who made an important impact on canoe history, and the canoe in question is an example that teaches us something about this builder or canoe-building that would be lost if the canoe was changed in any way.

Canoes were occasionally ordered from the factory with the seats re-located or lowered, or stems lowered, or whatever the customer wanted. And altering a canoe for the current owner's use is something that is done all the time--- we say, "it's YOUR canoe" over and over again here in Forums.

Glad you are using and enjoying your beautiful Kennebec!

There's interesting information about the Kennebec Company in these forums--- you might try the "search" function (above) and type in "Kennebec" and see what's there.

Kathy

Back