Kennebec Canoe information needed

Doug Smith

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a 1923 Kennebec Canoe. The Serial Number is 17329. Anything that you could tell me about this canoe would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interested in who purchased the canoe originally and where it was shipped to.

I have info about who planked it, ribbed it etc at the factory but I am trying to track where the canoe was and who owned it prior to me. Interestingly, the people that gave it to me in the early 1970's have no idea where they got it from

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
Regards,
Doug Smith

Your canoe was originally shipped to "24-475". The first part is the year, 1924. We have not yet found the key to decoding the rest - "475" could be an order number, a customer number, or something else. Afraid we aren't going to be much help in identifying the original order....

Dan

Doug Smith said:
Where else can I go to try and find out more?

You can contact Deanna Bonner-Ganter who is the Curator of Fine Art, Graphic Art, and Archives at the Maine State Museum, 83 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333-0083 or 207-287-2301 to make an appointment and go through their Kennebec Canoe Company document collection. Please reply here if you find the answer or have other questions. Thanks,

Benson

Thanks for your help.

Benson:
Thanks for your help. I've been working on this for decades and I reakky want to solve the mystery.
Regards,
Doug

Back