Just got my first wooden canoe and would love some expert opinions.

morse1322

Hello all,

I purchased a canoe with the intention of using it at the local lake. However, I'm not sure i can use it for that purpose in its current condition. Or if it will float. Its been hanging on a wall for 40 years.

Hoping the experts on this forum can help guide me and help answer a few questions.

1. I cannot find the manufacturer or serial number anywhere. I've looked in all the recommended places. I was told that this was an antique and was not meant to be used in its current condition :(. Can anyone help identify who made this canoe or when it might have been made?

2. Can this be refurbished into working order, or would it make more sense to purchase a new (wooden) canoe instead?

Excited to have my first wooden canoe, every one I've had up to this point has been fiberglass. Ready to get this in the water.

Thanks for having me on the forum.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 115
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 118
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 116
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 117
Welcome and congratulations, These photographs are very low resolution so it isn't obvious who made it. A close up of the bow deck could help. Canoe decks often have unique shapes as shown in the first link below. The second link may help you find a serial number if it has one. Most canoes can be restored to working order. A quick water test will usually indicate if additional work may be required. The third link below has a list of restorers who may be able to help with a project like this. Good luck and please keep up posted on your progress,

Benson

Hi morse1322,
a couple of questions:
1) what are the dimensions of this canoe?
2) are there holes in the canvas or is it detached at the outwales?
3) are the ribs loose - they seem wildly different in spacing?
And yes, better pix would be great!
And Benson says try it on the water but I think he is being too nice. My opinion is no way.

Not trying to discourage you in any way! Canoe restoration is a lot of fun, and the folks on this site will support you every step of the way.
-Worth

Good eye Dave. The canoe is almost certainly a birchbark. If you blow up the size of the images it becomes quasi obvious.

I would love to see more and better photos.
It doesn’t appear to be a commercially made canoe to me. Could be painted bark or a bark style canoe covered in canvas, which was a practice at one time.
It may not be what you’d want to use as a fishing canoe on your lake.

Back