It's a small small world

rowboy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I posted an inquiry regarding "loose canvas" on my thompson rowboat, back a month or so ago. I was very pleased with the responses and work is continuing as winter/spring just keeps rolling along. I live in a small Pa town and work at a local health emporium where among other things, I conduct senior citizen exercise classes. In the course of one class, the subject of my boat was being tossed around, and a fellow in the back row said, "You ought to talk to Bill Conrad, he makes boats out of wooden strips". Well, I have talked to Bill Conrad, in passing, 2-3 times a week for the last 4-5 years and the subject of boats never came up. I have since talked to him about finding his name scattered throughout this site. I haven't made it over to his place yet, it's several blocks from here, but he told me he had built 11 rowboats from scratch, and restored a number of others. Anyone who knows him knows what a true gentleman he is. The fact that he was president of your fine organization, shows that others have recognized this.
As an aside, I picked up some oars for my boat, and they were both labeled Penn Yan Boats. I needed an extra set of oars, but it seems a shame to deprive a Penn Yan Owner of these, if in fact they are desirable. They are 6 1/2 feet with leather and oarlocks. I would gladly entertain a trade for a set of 7 foot or so servicable oars. If I have posted this in an inappropriate section, please let me know. And thanks again to all for not treating me as persona non grata for going through the water backwards

Back