I have no words....

I'll say a few words. Nothing on tv at the moment. For someone who is among the few who are professionally certified to work on floating objects I am surprised that he did not state that he was the one who did the canvassing, rather than say 'it has been canvassed". Other than that, I think the price is a bit high, which includes many canoes on ebay. I saw a thompson go real cheap last week tho.

The seller claims he's been restoring it, but then he painted the interior? I know OT would do whatever the customer wanted, but did they actually paint interiors?

I thought the lack of inwales was odd, too. Makes me wonder if the boat's been re-canvased, or 'glassed...

glassed by the glass-king, hung from the ceiling by sky-king. Maybe the "restorer" is also the king of faa......... there is a road in Buffalo NY named for him....
yes, the pictures do the job.

I know OT would do whatever the customer wanted, but did they actually paint interiors?

I don't recall ever seeing a build record indicating that Old Town painted the interior of a wooden canoe. The pictures of this canoe aren't great but it may not have any planking or inside stems either. It sure looks like fiberglass.

Benson

That's not fiberglassed!

Haven't you ever seen a canoe canvased with Mastic? That's how you can attach the canvas without the inwale.

I have a Canadian Wideboard that some one did that to. The canvas came off rather easy but the mastic would only come off with the special mastic solvent. (Actually Peter did most of the mastic removal)

It also appears he's chopped the tops off all the ribs.

Paul

Attachments

• Hull.jpg
    Hull.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 245
Ya all know, that if this is how a professional does it, we have all been doing it wrong, for years! I mean, jees. Apparently, things like inner gunnels, stems, and so on are unnecessary. Think of all the weight we'd have saved on all those canoes we have so poorly restored. I also find myself in awe of the beautifully done interior. The beautiful, even tones of the grey paint are perfection. I'll have to remember this technique when I am confronted with all those nasty looking natural wood tones on my next restoration.

(Ok. I guess I did have words!)

my objection isn't necessarily the work done, not done, or poorly done. My objection is that I perceive that the seller is being less than forthright. and that reflects on the reputation of certified canoe hacks, like me.

I only hope/wish that nobody on this forum pops a gasket in righteous indignation if this canoe sells over one they've posted in the classifieds.
All this time we've been thinking all about wood and quality and craftsmanship - when it really may be all about the right shade of green and beige!
This seller may be on to something!

Back