Ebay Chesnut Canoe Pearl River NY - anybody know this canoe

It didn't look like a Chestnut to me, let alone a Prospector (decks are not Chestnut looking, no seats, bow profile didn't look Prospector), so I asked him about it via the eBay send the seller a question section.

He said it was his grandfathers canoe, he doesn't know much about canoes, so he checked around and he thought it might be a Chestnut Prospector, so that's what he labeled it as in the add. I asked if it was fiberglassed and he said it was canvas covered.

I don't think it's a Chestnut, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks Robin!! I finally got a response from him and he said it has a serial number which he will call me with tomorrow. I will be interested to see what it is and hopefully it will help identify it. I don't live close but my brother does (I want to keep it at his house) so I thought I might get him to go and look at it. It would be great if somebody that realy knows canoes was close by and could have a look. I don't mind that his grandfather worked on it if he did a credable job and was true to it. But if it is messed up that's a different story.

Sorta looked like a Peterborough Champlain to me.
If the number is 1492 on the stem...that's what it is... (I think....lol)

The flat shear, fine entry, and kneeling thwarts suggest Chestnut Cruiser to me. I'm not certain what Peterborough model that corresponds to.

Back