Carleton Canvas Canoe

Storsberg

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I recently purchased a 16 foot Carleton Canoe at an estate sale. I’m assuming it’s from the army 40’s. I’m ignorant as to how to date vintage canoes and would appreciate information on the canoes history and value. There is a minor tear in the canvas and the seats cloth has been replaced with leather ( not done well).

The ribs, gunwales and yokes are all solid. It has the brass name plate on the bow.

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you

Welcome and congratulations, a serial number is usually required to accurately date a canoe. The page at the first link below may help you find this. The information at the second link should help you value it. Good luck,

Benson

The only the I can see is the plate. It reads” Carleton canoe,
Built by Carleton Canoe Company
Old Town ME

I looked again, the stem is very dirty-19846? How would suggest cleaning it with affecting the integrity of the impression?

The Carleton canoe with serial number 19846 is an 18 foot long, Indian Princess (or top) grade, Carleton model with red Western cedar planking, open mahogany gunwales, half ribs, a keel, and a floor rack. It was built between August and November, 1929. The original exterior paint color was fire red. It shipped on November 25th, 1929 to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The back side of the record indicates that it may have moved to Chapel Hill, North Carolina by October, 1984 when there was a previous request for a copy of this build record. Scans showing both sides of this build record can be found below.

These scans and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. A good varnish remover is usually the best way to clean up a serial number. Sanding is generally not recommended since some of the digits are usually not be stamped very well. If you really have a 16 foot long canoe then please post some pictures of the serial numbers from each end. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

CC-19846.jpg

CC-19846-b.jpg

Last edited:
It’s very satisfying dealing with someone as knowledgeable as you-thank you. I’m being overzealous due to my excitement of this canoe-it’s reminiscent of a bygone age of craftsmanship and history.

I’ll clean it properly and try to obtain a better look. At second glance the 8 may be a six. I’ll get back once I can obtain a more accurate read on it.

My sincere thanks,
Gerhardt

The Carleton canoe with serial number 19646 is a 17 foot long, Regular (or middle) grade, Carleton model with red Western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, maple decks, maple thwarts, maple seats, and a keel. It was built between February and April, 1927. The original exterior paint color was dark red. It shipped on June 21st, 1927 to West Manchester, Massachusetts. A scan showing this build record can be found below.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

CC-19646.jpg

16846 is what I see after cleaning or 16849.

Attachments

• IMG_3587.jpeg
    IMG_3587.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3586.jpeg
    IMG_3586.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3585.jpeg
    IMG_3585.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 47
The Carleton canoe with serial number 19646 was 17 feet long with sponsons which are not apparent on your canoe. (It would have screw holes along the sides if these had been removed previously.) My guess is that you may have the one with number 19649. This is a 17 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, Carleton model with red Western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, birch decks, birch thwarts, birch seats, and a keel. It was built between April and May, 1922. The original exterior paint color was dark red. It shipped on June 8th, 1922 to New York City. A scan showing this build record can be found below.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Pictures of the serial numbers from each end may help. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

CC-16849.gif

Back