Canvas vs. fiberglass

TNR

I’m new to wood and canvas canoes. I was looking at a 1920s Old Town for sale online recently.

How can you tell if the canoe has been fiberglassed in the past?

Also, what should I make of widespread spider web cracking? Should I assume it’s going to need to be re-canvassed asap or could it still be water worthy? How would I know? Thanks!

Welcome, a canoe that has been fiberglassed in the past will usually have some resin left in the cracks between the planks or on the outside of the planking. Widespread spider web cracking commonly means that the canvas needs to be replaced. A quick water test will usually confirm if a canoe is still water worthy. Another option is to dump a bucket or two of water all over the outside when the canoe is upside down and then check the inside for wet spots. Good luck and feel free to post some pictures,

Benson

Last edited:
You can get a good sense of 'glass vs. canvas by simply rapping on and feeling the hull. A canvassed hull has a dull sound to it, while rapping on a fiberglassed hull produces a sharper sound as you'd expect of old soft canvas vs a hard plastic shell. You can often even feel the difference just by rubbing your hands along the hull. You may not have both types to compare but I still think you can tell. If the surface is in bad shape, there might be breaks or tears that will make it very obvious. Fiberglass is rigid, splintery, and can actually cut or impale you. Old canvas will be relatively soft and pliable.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Thanks for the quick responses. I attached some close up pictures showing the condition of the hull.

Attachments

• DSC06313.jpeg
    DSC06313.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Photo.jpeg
    Photo.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 80
There are cracks, and then there are cracks. Your images suggest that you are looking at cracks that would appear in the filler that is rubbed into a canvas to waterproof it. Filler has it's own way of cracking.
Cracks in a glassed hull will have a different appearance since are typically cracks in the epoxy or resin.
Most people who glass a hull do not re-install the stem bands in the glass is tougher than the lapped canvas seem they normally covered in a canvased boat. Your canoe has stem bands....
Given that the canvas is already bad on this boat, you could very discreetly dig a small sample of the filler from it to confirm what it is. You would not be able to dig into a glassed boat as easily.

And there is some sort of repair right under the gunwale. That is where the canvas deterioration usually starts, so that could be a clue.

Hi, in addition, to all the good advice you've been given I might add that simply removing a few screws holding the outwale in place to see behind it will tell you whether it's glassed or canvas. Although I'd say you have a cedar canvas canoe.
Gary

Back