Carleton 20234 16

Gil Cramer

The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.
I am almost certain that this is a Carleton, but the CD records don't go this high.Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Gil, there is a scan of the build record. The Carleton canoe with serial number 20234 is a 16 foot long, CS (common sense or standard) grade model with red western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, oak seats, decks and thwarts, and equipped with a keel. It was built in 1931, beginning in April, and apparently finished sometime in 1931, although the date is illegible. The original exterior paint color was bright red . It was shipped to Detroit, Michigan on April 16, 1932. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail image attached below.
20234 - O0307A.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

And Dave, the Old Town canoe with that number is an 18 foot guide special grade Indian Fishing model built in 1912 equipped with flag sockets, shipped to Baltimore.

Greg Nolan

Last edited:
Greg,
Thanks for the build record. The canoe is all original including the red paint. My Carleton cd records end at 19000. Where did you find the build record ?
Gil

When Benson recruited me to help out with providing copies of build records, we copied files from his computer to mine. I don't know what relationship, if any, those files have to your CD.
Greg

My Carleton cd records end at 19000. Where did you find the build record ?

The paper Carleton records go up to 20545 so there may have been an error in creating your CD if yours end at 19000. I can send you a new CD or put this information on the web for you to download if you want the rest. The folders on the CD should roughly correspond to the lowest serial number in the box. This is the same as the wooden boxes of paper records are labeled. The folder and box with this record is numbered 19500. The images below show a color scan of your record along with the box that holds it and some overall pictures of their storage room in the new store. Let me know how you want to proceed. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• c-20234.jpg
    c-20234.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Carleton-boxes.jpg
    Carleton-boxes.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 190
  • Records-Room-1.jpg
    Records-Room-1.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Records-Room-2.jpg
    Records-Room-2.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Records-Room-3.jpg
    Records-Room-3.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Records-Room-4.jpg
    Records-Room-4.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Benson,
Thanks for the offer, but after scanning most of the 19500 group, my CD is complete. I simply couldn't find the ones above 20000.
Gil

I simply couldn't find the ones above 20000.

Searching for an individual record can be tedious. I have added a cropped version of each record that just shows the serial number area and then use the large icon display in the Windows Explorer to search for a build record. The Apple OS X operating system has a similar feature in their Finder. The example image attached below shows how this Carleton record with file name O0307A is shown. Let me know if you (or anyone else) would like a copy of these files to aid any future searches.

Benson

Attachments

• Record-search.jpg
    Record-search.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 179
Benson, Thanks for the offer, but I use the records so infrequently I won't change anything.
Gil

Back