Canvas Repair

tlwolf

tlwolf
I have a 1929 Old Town canoe. I had it re-canvassed in 1999. Most of the canvas is in good shape. I want to re-paint it but first I need to repair some canvas that has pulled away and cracked open. I wondering how to go about this. I have been looking for repair kits but without success. I'd like to do it quickly and get the boat back on the water. Can anyone give me some advise or direct me to sources. Also what paint should I use?

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 275
You have many choices available. From the looks of it I wonder if new canvas might be better? You patch it by gluing canvas under the damaged spot and maybe on top too. Rubber cement I think will work. As to paint choices I prefer to use primer and then paint. Oil based paint. Tractor paint from the TSC or Home Depot will work and is cheaper. Rustoleum Oil based paint works and is cheaper. the expensive Marine paints are worth it tho. I prefer Kirby. Kirby primer is fantastic.

I don't think your canvas is okay. With these visible problems, there is surely a problem throughout. You'll likely work hard to fix these spots only to find that other spots quickly open up. You'd be much better off in the long run (and probably the short run too) to just go ahead and re-canvas.

I agree with the above. Looks like a classic case of rot. Someone did not use mildew treated canvas or did not treat the untreated canvas when it went on. I've got one of those myself.

Thanks everyone for input. Actually 90% of the canvas is in good shape (was professionally restored in 1999 by a vendor still listed on this site). It's tight and no cracks or bad spots. The damage shown is limited to one side near the bow with no sign of rot on the exposed wood. If I were to patch can you recommend where to buy the material and paint?

Many of the builder/supplier businesses listed in the WCHA directory will sell canvas and will ship -- make a few phone calls and I'm sure you can get what you need. I suspect that a smooth repair at the sponson will not be easy -- and I suspect that whatever caused the existing failure of the canvas will cause other failures in the future -- something to keep in mind as you choose a course of action.

As to paint, Dave Wermuth's comments above are on the mark -- high-end marine enamel (e.g. Interlux, Epiphnes) is available from a variety of sources -- Geoff Burke at Chocuroa Boatworks in our directory handles Epiphanes, for example; Hamilton Marine, Kirby Paints, Jamestown Distributors and others handle marine enamels, there are a number of marine supply stores in Rochester, and most any hardware store or paint shop can sell you good enamel house paint/porch and deck paint/Rustoleum if you prefer not to use a marine enamel -- many here have been quite satisfied with such paints.

Duct tape the bad spots and paint over them. Wet cotton canvas ROTS! treated; untreated; no matter. Cotton rots when wet, warm , and dark. Store the canoe right side up so all of the water can evaporate BEFORE it runs along the gunnels and into the captivating tips.

Well, if we're going with the short term repair I might suggest Gorilla Tape. Duck tape has not held up for me and I've tried it many times. Gorilla tape seems better. Don't know how it paints.

I take a length of Gorilla Tape and wrap it around a pencil and put it in my safety container with rope, flashlight, etc. Never had to use it but Gorilla tape is good stuff. Tape it and use it once the paint dries. Recanvas in the winter.

Paint?

I can't tell much from your photos, but the failed spots look too thin to involve the canvas too. Looks like filler and maybe paint failure only. Why is the canoe not painted? You may be able to sand the damaged spots off and use some epoxy filler to fair it smooth and by all means paint the canoe!

Back