Buyer Scams

Steve Ambrose

Nut in a Canoe
Periodically I'll get emails from "prospective buyers" who are obviously running some sort of scam. In today's economy it's tempting to test their validity but the scam artists are usually easy to spot. Questions that show no understanding of wooden canoes, hideous grammar, and elaborate payment terms. For example:

Hello
I'm mark Williams.I am interested in your FOR SALE: 1937 Old Town Guide 18 and I'll like to know cost and to see the pictures and condition, if okay with me .But will like to know some few things about it. 1. How long have you owned it? 2. Why are you selling it? 3.What sort of condition is it at the moment? 4. The bottom price which you will be selling it? And please let me know if it's still available for sale . Based in UK .If you do I want you to get in touch with me immediately for me to proceed with the Payment. As for the shipping I'll contact a shipper agent of mine who will arrange for the Pick up as soon as the transaction is sealed and get back to me.I will be looking forward to your response.
Thanks and have nice day

Don't respond to such obvious BS - it's likely an attempt to determine if your email address is legitimate and then hijack it or worse.

Another one

This one's not as obvious but still suspicious enough to ignore:
Hello..

How are you doing?...I am interested in your item place forsale at classifieds.wcha.org so what is the final asking price???and what is the present condition???..Email me me back now..

Carol.

I added this statement to my ad:

**Due to a high number of spambot emails regarding this ad, please send me your phone number so I can safely respond.**

Periodically I'll get emails from "prospective buyers" who are obviously running some sort of scam. In today's economy it's tempting to test their validity but the scam artists are usually easy to spot. Questions that show no understanding of wooden canoes, hideous grammar, and elaborate payment terms. For example:

Don't respond to such obvious BS - it's likely an attempt to determine if your email address is legitimate and then hijack it or worse.
I just received one from the same guy looking to buy my backrest listed in the wcha classifieds!

beaver

Somebody's trolling our classifieds.

Scammers have been trolling the WCHA classifieds for as long as this site has existed. The messages at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=1678 should provide some perspective. Asking for a phone number is a good start but a determined scammer may have a foreign exchange (FX) number in the North American dial plan (i.e. an ordinary ten digit phone number) which can be very expensive for you to call. Their usual technique is to send you a 'certified bank check' which is for more than the purchase price plus shipping and ask you to refund the extra. This check will bounce after a few days and you will have to pay a substantial fee to your bank. I don't respond to these messages since another way for them to make money is to collect the electronic mail addresses of 'live responders' which can be sold to other spammers. CAVEAT VENDITOR means Let The Seller Beware!

Benson

Last edited:
Scammers have been trolling the WCHA classifieds for as long as this site has existed. The messages at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=1678 should provide some perspective. Asking for a phone number is a good start but a determined scammer may have a foreign exchange (FX) number in the North American dial plan (i.e. an ordinary ten digit phone number) which can be very expensive for you to call. Their usual technique is to send you a 'certified bank check' which is for more than the purchase price plus shipping and ask you to refund the extra. This check will bounce after a few days and you will have to pay a substantial fee to your bank. I don't respond to these messages since another way for them to make money is to collect the electronic mail addresses of 'live responders' which can be sold to other spammers. CAVEAT VENDITOR means Let The Seller Beware!

Benson

I was aware of the check scam (same one has played on Craig's list etc.) but was NOT aware of the foreign phone exchange zinger. Thanks for the warning, Benson. I think I'll delete the request for phone numbers and go back to using the noodle filter. They're really pretty easy to spot.

Back