Butyrate and canvas

rpg51

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I am trying to make a decision whether to plunk down a lot of money for a butyrate upgrade on a new canoe I am having built. I am hoping to get some opinions from folks here who have experience with Butyrate.

The canoe will be used for annual 7-14 day trips mostly in Maine but also likely in eastern Canada. The canoe will be treated with love but it will not be babied. I expect it will be paddled carefully in class 2 and 3 whitewater on a regular basis. I am attracted by the lower weight and the reported ruggedness of a Butyrate filled canvas. I am not happy about the cost. I am also a bit concerned that I would not be able to simply throw on a coat of marine enamel at the end of the season to spruce it up a bit. I understand enamel will not adhere well and that you need to apply another coat of pigmented butyrate.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
If you search these forums for "butyrate," you'll find a few threads where some discussion has occurred. Hope that helps!

Yea, I have read all the existing threads. I did not see much discussion re the actual performance advantages in the real world of paddling canoes in rough environments which is my main concern. I am hoping there are some folks here who have experience with it.

Back