Epifanes yacht enamel

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I am at the final stages of my restoration and am about to apply the paint. I will be using Epifanes yacht enamel and I am wondering if I should thin it at all to get a more even layer on each coat or use it right out of the can. I will be putting on 3 -4 coats. thanks

Hi, I was wondering the same thing. ( will be using it in a few weeks) I went to their web site and all I could find was a # for tech help 207-354-0804. Oddly it is a Maine # where I live. So I guess I could tell them " It better work out cuz I know where you Live!!" Cheers Mike.....

Nearly all paints require thinning to some degree (this is a good thing - means you get more bang for your buck out of a quart of paint). How much depends on a lot of things, including the temperature, the humidity, the surface being painted, the pigments (color) in the paint, the type of brush, etc., etc.

You want to be able to brush or roll it on fairly easily (without dragging), maintain a wet edge, have it level itself, and not go on so heavy that you get runs or curtains.

Always use the thinner recommended by the paint manufacturer, even if it is proprietary. If you do not, you risk all kinds of problems down the road.

I highly recommend Pam Wedd's three-part article in Wooden Canoe on painting canoes, which can be found in issues 132, 133 and 135. Pam is among the best at this.

Dan

use the thinner recommended by the paint manufacturer
I highly recommend Pam Wedd's three-part article in Wooden Canoe on painting canoes, which can be found in issues 132, 133 and 135.
Dan

The Epifane is really fabulous paint. I use their thinner and roll it. I have used many other paints and never had results as good. The colors are incredibly deep and rich.
As Dan notes, Pam's articles provide a wealth of very useful information that will help you to achieve very pleasant results.

Pam's article is a great reference and echo's Dan's comment regarding local conditions. The amount of thinner required depends on those elements and is adjusted depending on feel. You will develop a sense of feel as you brush (or roll and tip with a brush). Too thick and you will feel the brush start to drag. Down here in high heat and humidity I'll often have to add more thinner about halfway through. A quart of finish paint will usually do 3 coats on a 16' boat. Pay close attention to how the paint behaves on the first coat and adapt/adjust on the second and third coats. Hopefully by the time you get to the final coat you will have it figured out. Good lighting plays an important part - you have to see what you're doing and dark colors make it difficult to spot areas that didn't get enough paint. Maximize daylight to your advantage. Even with good lighting in my shop I never paint after dark and I always start on the end toward the windows so as I look back over the fresh paint into the best light I can easily spot the misses and hit them before I get too far away. Alternate sides, paint 2-3' on one side then switch over to the other and continue back and forth so you're working a wet edge down the length of the hull including the centerline. As Pam suggests never go back to touch up, you'll just make it worse. Let the paint do its thing.

Back