Benjamin Moore Paint

canoenut

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I'm considering using Benjamin Moore Alkyd Porch and Floor Enamel on the outside of the canoe that I'm restoring. I assume that other members have used this product.
My questions are:
Were you happy with the results?
What was used for sand able Primer?
Thanks,

Lowell

Three years ago we got a canoe restored and painted by Ralph Nimtz using BM alkyd porch and deck paint.

sm 100_2843.jpg sm 100_1881.jpg

I didn't do the painting, so I can't speak to what primer, if any, was used, or to how the paint goes on. But in our third summer of using the canoe, we do like the results -- it seems durable, and the semi-gloss/satin finish continues to look good, and I am happy enough with it that I expect to use it on another canoe that I am in the process of restoring now. I don't know that I will be using any primer.

For the five years we have had that canoe, it was painted with BM water based porch and deck paint, and I've been quite satisfied with the performance of the paint (applied over several coats of old, cracking paint).
sm 100_1696.jpg

I expect that the alkyd paint will give a nicer finish with just a bit more sheen, and perhaps a bit more durability.

Back