Gunwale construction

Non- kiln dried is supposed to bend better if you have to steam them. Next time I need to do gunwales I’ll going to do the “boil in the bag” method so that I can slowly bend them while they are being steamed vs pulling them out of the steamer and bending them all at once while they cool.

Tips from a shipwright has a good video of bending a stem this way.

Thanks Floydvoid! My friend is going to mill me some 17' long straight grained-no knots ash 4/4 boards so that I can router and prepare them for the new outer gunwales. Doing the bag method of steaming while already partially installed seems like a great idea. Do you know of a good electric steam processor that has enough steam to bag steam these long gunwales?

I have a wagner wallpaper steamer I got in a garage sale cheap. Just enough steam time for gunnels. I've used a metal can and propane burner as well. Instead of bag, I use a collapsible camper sewer hose, the cheap one lasts for many years.

I'm curious about a detail regarding this method of steaming the outwale while on the canoe. Does the heated outwale damage new paint when clamping the hot material to the canoe? Or, does one have to pre-bend the outwales on the non-canvassed hull first?

I have a wagner wallpaper steamer I got in a garage sale cheap. Just enough steam time for gunnels. I've used a metal can and propane burner as well. Instead of bag, I use a collapsible camper sewer hose, the cheap one lasts for many years.
Glad to hear about the Wagner Steamer! I collect Canadian Tire points and through this process I can get one "free". The collapsible camper sewer hose is a great idea. I really like the steam in the bag with the gunwale partially installed idea too!
Since the barn I am working in does not have power, the Wagner steam producer is limited in value at this time. I am trying to think how I can hook up something where my propane cook set could heat the "pot". I don't want to "alter" any pot sets I have, so maybe I'll check out a used equipment store for something cheap and adaptable. Any ideas?

I have not had issues with paint but I prefer to pre bend the Wales on the canoe before canvas. Done it both ways

Like Dave, I use a Wagner steamer and bend them on the boat before canvassing if possible. I only put bags on the end 6ft or so for steaming and just clamp then screw the middle. If the paint is already on, I try to protect it from direct steam when I can . I always put the final coat of paint on after the gunnels are fitted to seal the joint
Sam.

Paint and filler was fine when I was in the Stone Age of putting an abs pipe over the gunwale and the hot water dripped all over it.

I use a keg on a turkey cooker with a car radiator hose

Like Dave, I use a Wagner steamer and bend them on the boat before canvassing if possible. I only put bags on the end 6ft or so for steaming and just clamp then screw the middle. If the paint is already on, I try to protect it from direct steam when I can . I always put the final coat of paint on after the gunnels are fitted to seal the joint
Sam.
I am so glad you said you fit and shape before canvassing. Somehow I had the idea I needed to wait until the point after canvassing and painting!

An old gas can will do.
I use an old kerosene can, and no matter how many times I fire it up it still smells faintly of kerosene. No ill effects on either ash stems or cedar ribs however.
tempImagek4eBqE.png

My current project is at the filled canvas stage, so I'll probably bend outwales before proceeding with primer and paint to avoid trouble.
tempImageWOOOUs.png

Also- you might want a little more than 4/4 for the blanks so that you have room to cut the inner angle of the gunwale, if they are old town style.

I end up with a sequence of cuts on the table saw , bend them on, then plane by hand to round over the outer corner.

The canoe looks lovely. Did you re-cane the seats yourself?
Thank you. The seats were beyond repair. At some point a previous owner had nailed plywood over the frames (and ruined cane), and the bow seat had been moved so far forward that it was too small to re-position in the correct position anyway. I made new frames of Ash, and caned them in the Chestnut pattern. My fourth and fifth cane seats... I enjoy the process and have done two different patterns.

I use an old kerosene can, and no matter how many times I fire it up it still smells faintly of kerosene. No ill effects on either ash stems or cedar ribs however. View attachment 55065

My current project is at the filled canvas stage, so I'll probably bend outwales before proceeding with primer and paint to avoid trouble.
View attachment 55066
Beautiful lines and looks super. Did you re-cane the seats yourself?

Also- you might want a little more than 4/4 for the blanks so that you have room to cut the inner angle of the gunwale, if they are old town style.

I end up with a sequence of cuts on the table saw , bend them on, then plane by hand to round over the outer corner.
I appreciate the advice for a bit larger sized board. I'll ask for 5/4.

Back