Wood preservative.

Dave Aukes

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone use clear water base wood preservative to treat ribs and planks before assembly? If you do what can you recommend?

Never done it, but I'm not sure what would happen to the preservative when you steam the ribs.

Sam

Yeah, this would be after the ribs are bent on the form and before the planking is put on.
It seems like it would be a good idea to treat the contact point of the ribs and planks because they will not get any treatment or finish after assembly.

Dave, good question. Have not done something like that either but look forward to the community knowledge and recommendations.

Some guys varnish the back sides of the ribs and planks. If you use something else like deck seal or some zinc or copper concoction, be sure it’s compatible with varnish.

The obvious question is whether or not that is necessary. I completely understand the idea that sealing all of the surfaces has the potential to protect these otherwise hidden areas, but from my experiences, there doesn't seem to be an absolute need. Cedar is used on ribs and planking not only because its light weight and workability, but also because it is extremely rot resistant.
I have pulled original ribs and planking from hulls over 120 years old and found that the wood is absolutely perfect in that unvarnished area behind the ribs and under the planks. The only places where I have seen rot are where water can stand and collect without draining or where a boat has been in contact with the ground or leaves and water.
A few good coats of whatever hull concoction you use seems to be more than enough. My mix is a blend of BLO, Mineral Spirits and Turpentine applied warm (nearly hot). It penetrates, seals and hardens.
What I would definitely varnish on the backside are the rails. Many builders left the backs of the rails unfinished...

Back