With deep regret I report

kayamedic

Kim Gass
the passing of Tom MacKenzie WCHA member 2, on October 20 2015 after a long illness in Anderson SC.
His legacy will live in his canoes and what he has taught a number of us about canoe handling and "physics" To say he will be sorely missed is an understatement

Last edited:
So sorry to hear...I was only in Tom's presence a couple of times...great guy.
What he did for the WCHA over the decades is amazing.
There should be some way to honor him at the 2016 Assembly.

He fought hard to remain a part of the world he gave so much to. His beautiful canoes and those who paddle them are part of Tom's legacy.

Obituary

Tom MacKenzie Obituary

We lost Tom MacKenzie Tuesday 20 October 2015 after a long illness.

Tom was an environmental educator before turning to an interest in boat building; initially in traditional birchbark, then later in cedar fabric. Tom’s cedar Dacron canoes built on forms he designed with David Yost, were the gold standard, the finest craft of their type.

Tom was also active in paddlesport instruction. He participated in Canoe Magazine’s famous ’85 solo rendezvous in the Boundary Waters and was one of the founders of the American Canoe Association’s FreeStyle Committee, serving as it’s second chair. He supported the Conclave series of on-water events and the Texas Canoe Rendezvous and initiated the Adirondack Canoe Symposium.

His many friends will remember a keen intellect, a kind voice and an abiding dedication to the sideslip in all it’s variations.

Paddling at the 2013 Assembly:

_DSC0695 cr s.jpg

The above was an email from Charlie Wilson. He left out Toms deep involvement in the WCHA Assemblies. Tom was handling instruction and wife Karen was literally running around Paul Smiths with sheets of paper for registration ( which she pretty much singlehandedly did) and literally sheets for when the staff of Paul Smiths did not distribute enough sheets (never mind beds.. sometimes there were not enough in a room) or window screens.

If you have one of Tom's boats they are keepers.

Tom attended the Upper Great Lakes Assembly in Spooner last year, and gave folks the opportunity to try out his beautiful canoes.

Attachments

• loonworks at spooner.jpg
    loonworks at spooner.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 415
The last time I saw Tom in South Carolina he was fighting a good fight. It was obviously painful, but he kept pushing on and never complained in my earshot. Time is a river punctuated by rapids and eddies, carrying us forward and eventually out of sight. Our wake may eventually subside but our spirit remains in all that we touch. I'll miss you, Number 2, but your spirit will linger with me whenever I paddle that canoe with your name on it.

Tom was powerfully influence in the WCHA. Tom and Karen and the Deans started the organization and developed the basic structure that the organization still uses. Tom was tireless in working for the WCHA and his easy laid back approach to every problem made every problem less serious. We will all miss him very much.
Rollin

When I came to my first Assembly, back in the mid-80s, Tom and Karen were the first two people I met. I knew from the start that the WCHA was special. The classes Tom ran for the kids where he loaned his beautiful boats to inexperienced little kids is the reason both my kids have solo boats today. I will miss him.

Whenever someone close to me passes I remind myself that we are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience. We do not die with our last heartbeat, we merely change our residence. Life to Life.

Paddle on, my friend, and may the water be always calm.

Jim Clearwater

From Karen MacKenzie today:

A ReLoonion will be held at 5:30 PM Saturday, November 14, to celebrate the life and legacy of our Head Loon, Tom. The event will be held at McFalls Landing, 1625 Broadway Lake Road, Anderson, SC (on the left, 2.3 mi. south on Broadway Lake Road). Please note: the building is reserved by another group until 5:00 PM.

Feel free to share your reminiscences of Tom with us in person or in absentia.

Food and beverages will be provided, so it would be helpful if you could let us know you’ll be here so we can plan accordingly.

Memorial contributions in Tom’s name may be made to:
Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum
P O Box 365, Spooner, WI 54801
715-635-5002, 715-635-2479

Please forward this message to others who might be interested in the information but are not included as addressees.

Back