Walter Walker 1907 - 2009

Dick Persson

Canoe builder & restorer
Walter Walker 1907 - 2009

It is with sadness that I inform you that our friend and master canoe builder Walter Walker of Lakefield passed away yesterday, a few weeks short of his 102nd birthday.
Walter was an inspiration to all, especially to those who love wooden canoes. Walter’s memory will be with us forever.

Below is an excerpt of the family’s announcement.

Relatives and friends may call at the HENDREN FUNERAL HOMES, LAKEFIELD CHAPEL, on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 from 2-4 and 7-9 P.M. A funeral service will be held from the LAKEFIELD BAPTIST CHURCH, Regent St. on Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 1:00 P.M. Pastor Phil Brown officiating. Interment Lakefield Cemetery. As expressions of sympathy, memorial donations may be made to the Lakefield Baptist Church, The Canadian Canoe Museum or the charity most meaningful to the donor. Friends may arrange flowers, send condolences or make donations at www.hendrenfuneralhome.com or by calling 1-877-839-2488

And a somewhat fuller obit from our local paper;

WALKER WALTER EDWARD MASTER CANOE BUILDER

WALKER, Walter Edward Master Canoe Builder 1907 - 2009 Went to be with the Lord at the Peterborough Regional Health Centre on Monday, October 19, 2009. Walter Walker of Lakefield, in his 102nd year. Loving husband of Maxine. Dear father of daughters Sandra Hahn (Adolph) of Hagersville and Karen Johnston (Bruce) of Waterloo, stepsons David Rhude (Virginia) of Bridgenorth and Doug Rhude (Janet) of Young's Point. He will be sadly missed by his 9 grandchildren, 5 great-grandchildren and by his sister Pearl Hendren of Lakefield. Predeceased by his first wife Beatrice Charlton (1965); parents Reverend and Mrs. W.B. Walker, brothers Reginald and Alfred Walker and sister Rita Curtis. Walter was a faithful and active member of Lakefield Baptist Church for over 75 years, many of which he spent as Sunday School Superintendent and Deacon. Walter moved to Lakefield in 1931, where he began his boat-building career. He worked for several canoe companies in Lakefield and Peterborough. Through the years he received several recognitions for his outstanding contributions to the art of canoe building. He was the first inductee as Canoe Builder Emeritus to the Canadian Canoe Museum, Peterborough. In 2003, he was inducted into the Stairway of Excellence at Galt Collegiate Institute, Cambridge, Ontario. A special thank you to his niece, Athabelle Tighe, for her many acts of kindness over the years. Relatives and friends may call at the HENDREN FUNERAL HOMES, LAKEFIELD CHAPEL, on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 from 2-4 and 7-9 P.M. A funeral service will be held from the LAKEFIELD BAPTIST CHURCH, Regent St. on Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 1:00 P.M. Pastor Phil Brown officiating. Interment Lakefield Cemetery. As expressions of sympathy, memorial donations may be made to the Lakefield Baptist Church, The Canadian Canoe Museum or the charity most meaningful to the donor. Friends may arrange flowers, send condolences or make donations at www.hendrenfuneralhome.com or by calling 1-877-839-2488

I'm proud to be a member of this organization for many reasons, not the least of which is the honor given those who have contributed to the canoes we are passionate about, such as Walter Walker and Joe Seliga. Well-deserved honor, to be sure, but it does my heart good knowing the WCHA it its members gave these men their due before they passed away.

Joe and Walter are probably paddling tandem where the days never end and the breeze is always behind them. Canoe world icons for sure, but beyond that they were great men that lived right. Paddle on, guys!

A sad thing indeed. I am fortunate enough to own a paddle he carved for me. Now all I have to do is get WW canoe.

Back