Unraveling the mystery of my Old Town Canoe

Steve_MN

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm researching the history and assessing the value of an Old Town Canoe purchased by my father. He always told me it was an Old Town Canoe that was old and in need of restoration when he purchased it in the 1940's. It is 18' long and he always told me that it was designed as a river canoe. Today I suspect that it might be an early Charles River canoe and he wasn't quite clear on the history of Old Town Canoes. In my research I'm not quite clear on Charles River's connection to Old Town Canoes. My father restored the canoe when he was in high school and spent many years canoeing in northern Minnesota. It is a wonderful canoe that just glides through the water. Today my family lacks the skills to do what my father did and restore the canoe again. I'm hoping to get it into the hands of someone who understands it's value however, I am not an avid canoeist and am not sure how to proceed. I'm posting some images of the canoe which includes a picture of the serial number. Any thoughts or ideas on value and how to put it on the market would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

IMG_1266 SN.jpeg
IMG_1266 SN.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpeg
    IMG_1260.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1261.jpeg
    IMG_1261.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1264.jpeg
    IMG_1264.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 94
Welcome, this is probably not an Old Town canoe. The un-tapered ribs and low serial number indicate that it may be a canoe from one of the Charles River area builders. The page at https://woodencanoemuseum.org/builder-history/old-town-canoe-company has more information about the early years of the Old Town Canoe Company and their connection to J. R. Robertson of the Charles River area.

The comments in the first link below and similar canoes listed at the WCHA classifieds at the second link should help you value it. A listing there is usually the fastest way to find a good new home for a canoe like this. The last link explains the process to create a listing. Good luck with the sale,

Benson

Welcome, this is probably not an Old Town canoe. The un-tapered ribs and low serial number indicate that it may be a canoe from one of the Charles River area builders. The page at https://woodencanoemuseum.org/builder-history/old-town-canoe-company has more information about the early years of the Old Town Canoe Company and their connection to J. R. Robertson of the Charles River area.

The comments in the first link below and similar canoes listed at the WCHA classifieds at the second link should help you value it. A listing there is usually the fastest way to find a good new home for a canoe like this. The last link explains the process to create a listing. Good luck with the sale,

Benson
Thanks Benson, I only see two digits in the serial number. Is it possible that the SN is only 94? Also, my father also told me that when he obtained the canoe the top two inches under the gunwales along the sides were removed due to rot. The canoe had been stored on the ground for many years. That would probably create the need for a wider deck at the stern and the bow. They probably cut the ribs which eliminated the taper. Is that possible and I'm thinking that would reduce the value. Can you provide any further insight?
I can add that the result is a canoe that rides a little lower in the water and is very easy to paddle.

Agreed, that doesn't look like a Old Town.
Without a better ID or better pics, I'd put it at about a $400-500 canoe.
Try posting an ad in the MPLS facebook*, though the market seems a bit slow for W/C here lately.

Try looking at the other end to see if there is a S/N there.
Also, the ribs are interesting, not being tapered as Benson mentioned (reminds me of Canadian) and the longitudinal cleat is also interesting.
Being open gunwale, it's likely 20's or newer, so not real old.
Assuming your Dad got it here in the Midwest, I'm guessing one of the smaller local builders here.

More pics and closeups would help with an ID.
Dan
* it's not worth enough to pay for a ride to other parts of the Country

Agreed, that doesn't look like a Old Town.
Without a better ID or better pics, I'd put it at about a $400-500 canoe.
Try posting an ad in the MPLS facebook*, though the market seems a bit slow for W/C here lately.

Try looking at the other end to see if there is a S/N there.
Also, the ribs are interesting, not being tapered as Benson mentioned (reminds me of Canadian) and the longitudinal cleat is also interesting.
Being open gunwale, it's likely 20's or newer, so not real old.
Assuming your Dad got it here in the Midwest, I'm guessing one of the smaller local builders here.

More pics and closeups would help with an ID.
Dan
* it's not worth enough to pay for a ride to other parts of the Country
Dan, do you think trimming the sides under the gunwales could have eliminated the taper on the ribs? Steve

Not at all - look at the pics showing the insides - notice that the ribs appear to be the same width from rail to rail, that's the "not tapered". Tapered ribs are usually tapered for about 12" or so at the ends, so that the rib width in the center/bottom is a constant width and once the rib starts up the side, it gets narrower, as the strength isn't needed there, and most makers/manufacturers try to make their canoes as light as possible.

Also, lowering the sides by 2 in has nothing to do with how the canoe rides and moves through the water, only the part actually touching the water affects how it moves through the water. However, the area above the water will act like a "sail" in wind and move the canoe around.

Do you know how much of the canoe is actually original?

I don’t. Most of the work was done before I was born. I’m turning 70 in July. Your knowledge is very helpful. I’m planning to put it on the market later in July. I originally posted it on Marketplace for $250. I got so many responses I felt I should do more research and I pulled the ad.

Whatever it might be, the changes made to the canoe are of the sort that would (in my opinion)) significantly devalue it, regardless of the builder.
It is no longer a canoe that can be properly restored. That may not detract from its functionality. It may make it a more useable boat.
Considering the work it now needs I would not offer anything more than a few hundred dollars for a canoe that strays so far from originality and more than, likely, nothing at all. Pricing it for $250 was probably about right, at least from where I sit.

Good plan - like I said, I'm thinking $4-500 - with an unknown maker. If a ID can be made, it could go a bit higher, maybe.
But again, IMO, the market here in MN/MPLS is cold right now, I suspect you will do better in the fall, when folks are thinking about projects (which is what you have), now people are thinking about being in a canoe, not working on them.

Well, it probably wasn't made by any of the major manufacturers. Most of them included another two digits for the length of the canoe. This one is likely to remain a mystery as others have suggested. Sorry,

Benson

Not a problem. This canoe is all about my history and memories and those are wonderful. I am going to work to get it into the hands of someone who will restore it and enjoy it. There is something really special about canoes. Thanks for all your help.

Steve, good luck with your sale of your canoe that has some many memories etc. Previous comments are from very experienced folks who share your passion about canoes. I respect your desire to get it into the right hands.

Back