Two quarter thwarts vs. one center thwart

Hungry Jack

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a 1933 Old Town HW. For various reasons, I would like to install a center thwart/yoke and remove the two quarter thwarts that were original.

Aside from authenticity objections, will I be compromising the structural integrity too much? I understand it came with two thwarts for a reason, but I just have a hard time believing that a 75 year old canoe is going to lose its shape based on this modification. In addition to a new center thwart in the form of a yoke, the seats themselves are adding support (although the bow has a drop seat). The canoe is a 16-footer.

You can see a picture of this model at this link

http://www.vintagecanoeworks.com/restored/26ot_hw.html

That's not my canoe, but it's exactly the same as mine and it shows you where the thwarts are currently located.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hello Hungry,

I've seen quite a few 15' Old Town 50# models (made with only one center thwart) that had relaxed at the gunwales. When looking down the length, the canoe was shaped like a peanut.

Michael

I echo Michael's comment - I did this with one of my new builds - a 14' solo canoe with kneeling thwart. It also showed the tendency to spread between thwart and stems. Next time around, I'll put in quarter thwarts and a saddle seat...

Dan

Back