Two OTs and a Carleton

Michael Grace

Lifetime Member
I'm away from my computer with my build records, so could someone post these three?

Old Town 104346 16 (CS grade, no extras except mast set and step)
Old Town 180383 17 (1970s?)
Carleton 16990 17 (sailing canoe w/sponsons)

Thanks much!
Michael

The Old Town canoe with serial number 104346 is a 16 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, HW (heavy water) model with red western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, and a keel. It was built between December, 1929 and May, 1930. The original exterior paint was dark green. It shipped on May 12th, 1930 to Mobile, Alabama.

The Old Town with serial number 180383 is a 17 foot long Otca model with a keel, a mast seat, and a mast step. It was built between March and April, 1968. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on May 24th, 1968 to Petersburg, Virginia.

The Carleton canoe with serial number 16990 is a 17 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, Carleton model with red western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, ash decks, ash thwarts, ash seats, a keel, and sponsons. It was built between May, 1922 and March, 1925. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It was shipped on April 4th, 1925 to Newark, New Jersey.

Scans of these build records are attached below. These scans and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. Your lifetime membership is much appreciated.

It is also possible that you could have other numbers or manufacturers if these descriptions doesn't match the canoes. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-104346.gif

OTC-180383.gif

CC-16990.gif

Back