Thompson Hiawatha/Shell Lake

lbrown

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello,
I have a new canoe that I have identified as a Thompson Hiawatha. I have done some research that Shell Lake Canoes are ver similar (see classified section). What are the differences? How can you tell them apart without a nameplate?

Thanks!

An experienced eye can tell by looking. It's in the shape of the decks and other visual clues. Can you post a photo?

Well,
The problem is the decks have been replaced. The planking, ribs and thwart are original, but the decks, gunwales, and seats have been replaced. I'll try to get a pic posted soon.

Thanks for the help!

Based on the small sample I have, 2 Shell Lakes and 3-4 T's,

if the planking looks nice, ie, stright tight grain, layed tight, etc, it's a T, if the grain of the planking is more "open" and there are "gaps" in the planking, it's a SL.

Another clue, if the ends of the ribs have a small chamfer for and aft, it;'s likely a T, if not, a SL.

Oh, another thing I noticed on mine, the T's have a nice smooth shape and the SL's kind a look like a "sausage", ie, they stay wide in the middle for a long way and suddenly and sharply curve in to the ends.

Dan

Thanks for the assistance. My new canoe definitely looks to be a Thompson. The overall shape is fairly slim, not thick as the SL is described. The ribs are chamfered as well, planks are tight.

Many thanks!

petermueller said:
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. I don't understand why the poster for this thread and others, who have genuine questions, don't post pictures. Seems like a waste of time-JMHO

Not everyone has the equipment of know-how to take and post digital photos. You'd be surprised how many who use the forums still use dial-up. It makes it harder to answer, sure, but their enthusiasm is every bit as strong as the rest of us and they should be encouraged to post questions regardless.

Sorry guys, I had some technical difficulties with the pics.

I would love to hear any more input that is available.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_1470.JPG
    DSC_1470.JPG
    929.3 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_1467.JPG
    DSC_1467.JPG
    794.2 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_1464.JPG
    DSC_1464.JPG
    866.6 KB · Views: 339
Back