The build thus far

slk

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Ok guys here are a couple of pics of the build. I just wanted to thank all of you for your kindness with information. It had been nearly 30 years since I had built one of these, and I was extremely rusty in my techniques. Back when I did the first ones there was no internet. I still can't believe we built them with the help of a few phone calls that cost about a buck a min back then.

This is just the first coat of varnish on the inside. Have several more to apply. The seats are already done but not pictured here. Left them out for ease of application of varnish to the bottom.

mu5YswR.jpg

BuRPycW.jpg

There is no canvas or paint. It is a clear coat epoxy like the Old Town clear coat is. Those white streaks are the overhead lights

Steve

jskVR07.jpg

Last edited:
Very pretty. Couldn’t guess why the planking would be so shiny before canvas.
You’ll get many admiring comments and everyone will want to run their hands over it.

When I built my first ones back in the early 80's Old Town was doing them in a clear finish also. I just thought the look was very cool. It is much more of a pain to do one in clear epoxy than canvas. The canvas ones are very classy looking and I like them as well. There are many more advantages to doing them with canvas than not. All I can say is that when I lived in Florida and went to all of the canoe outpost along the Santa fe' and Suwannee rivers it was a head turner. Everyone there was a canoeist. Not builders but paddlers. I do understand in the circle of builders that canvas is the way to go.

My main objective in this post was to thank everyone here for all of their input on this build. It was greatly appreciated

Steve

Back