Suitable wash for wood prior to refinish

cwfrench

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
So, I (re)started the restoration on my Grandfather's 1927 Old Town Charles River. I am replacing four ribs, and a small amount of plank. Some of the interior was striped almost 30 years ago and much of the rest maybe ten years ago. It got some water into it over the years so I have a mix of surface colors on the interior. Trying to have something of an authentic patina when I am done so I thinking that bleach will be a bit harsh. In reading Rollin Thurlow's book he talks about a two part teak was that seems to do what I want. This book was printed a bit ago however. What are some good options?
I am looking to treat the wood inside and out with hot linseed oil and turpentine before finishing with Spar Varnish

Others will chime-in with a more specific reply.

It's usually okay to remove all the old patina from the interior of a canoe and make it like-new again. There's a difference between an 18th century highboy and a canoe-- canoes fall into the category of being a vehicle, like a Model T or '50s Harley. Most canoes don't lose value by getting "a complete restoration", which might include a thorough stripping of interior finish by someone with a type A personality. I'm not suggesting this is what you should do, just saying it's okay to do this if you want to.

(I said "usually okay" because some canoes are of historic interest and should perhaps be left as-is)

HOWEVER, if you want to keep the patina of a canoe decades-old, that's good too. I personally like having a canoe the dogs can ride around in, without anyone freaking out over dog-nails.

Interesting that I suggested the use of oxalic acid for the dirty cane, and it might also be helpful on your wood. It can really clean-up rust stains and such. But maybe someone else has a better idea.

Very cool that you have a family canoe to restore!

Kathy

Back