Stripper Answers My Question

Dave Nagel

This Year's Obsession
When I got my 1943 Old Town HW the decal had a black rectangle with light colored lettering. I ordered new decals from the WCHA online store and according to the information posted there, Old Town used decals with a black rectangle and light lettering from 1900-1940. From 1940 to 1950 the decals had red rectangles with white lettering. I figured The Association knew their stuff but I was puzzled how the black decal from pre 1940 got on my canoe. It was the stripper that gave me the answer. When I put it on to remove the old varnish, the decal changed color as you can see in the pictures.

I am thinking either the color changed from UV exposure over the years or someone varnished over the decal and the varnish interacted with the decal and turned it black. If it was the varnish that would be a factor in whether I varnish over the decal to protect it.

By the way there was a product review of these decals and the guy said he wished it came with directions because he ended up ruining it. Directions came with mine. I bought an extra in case and they threw in another.

If anyone knows what turned the origional decal black I would be interested in hearing. Always interested in speculation too. I would also like to hear people's opinions on putting the decal on top of or under varnish.

I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks
Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• Canoe135593 016.jpg
    Canoe135593 016.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Canoe135593 2034.jpg
    Canoe135593 2034.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 333
Back