Stem replacement

Flyfisher963

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I was wondering for those of you that replace stems... Do you use quarter sawn stock to bend? You would never just cut the stem out of regular board sawn lumber, would you?

Since a stem is usually square (around 7/8"), it doesn't really matter if you get it out of quartersawn or flatsawn stock... turn it 90 degrees and one is the other. if your grain is at 45 degrees, take your chances, but if it bends, why not use it?

Stem Bending

Is it safe to say after tracing out line of current bow line I should "rake" it back another two inches to allow for spring back?

Why not just laminate it - No springback, no guessing, faster, easier, smarter, better, stronger, greener...

I would allow for springback, sure enough. I have also gone the laminate route and actually prefer it for all the reasons that LJ suggests. A traditionalist would probably not laminate, though.

My stem forms are exact to the stem. I don't get alot of spring back. If I had to guess i'd say less than an inch. I bend stems 2" wide and then cut them lengthwise after. It's a bit easier I think than bending a 7/8" piece. take a look at the grain runout and put it on the form accordingly in order to try to reduce the probablity of breakage. Use a backer. I posted a couple crude youtubes on the subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsd5HapWpE&feature=channel
Hope this helps.

Back