Staining Ribs To Match

michaelrandrews

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
It looks like I will have to stain about a dozen ribs and half ribs to match the old wood. I plan to oil the interior of the canoe as well as the exterior. Do you think I should stain to match before or after I apply the oil? Should I coat all the ribs to achieve a more even tone?

Michael

Staining new ribs to match color of old ribs

Michael,

Following spartan advice offered in this wonderful forum, what I have successfully done is shellac the entire inside of your canoe with either amber or clear shellac. Then when you stain the new ribs you are able to easily wipe stain off old ribs and planking adjacent to the new wood as you experiment to achieve the closest color match Otherwise, if you stain un- sealed new wood the old wood will soak, read that suck up the stain and create a serious color match issue for you. Stain adheres real well to shellac and varnishing over shellac is a tried and true process. Good luck with it.

Ed

Just remember to use de-waxed shellac, like Zinsser Seal Coat. The other stuff contains waxes which can cause adhesion problems with varnish top coats.

You can also tint the shellac using an alcohol based tint, like TransTint dyes. You might be able to bring your ribs a little closer to matching using the tints.

Minwax "colonial" somethingorother.

I have had decent luck matching new ribs with old using Minwax "colonial" or "early american" or some similar named stain. Especially with Canadian canoes.

I stain the raw new ribs with it and then keep staining the new ribs with the stain between varnish coats and I think you would have to study the canoe when finished to find the new ribs. Passes the 3 ft. rule!!

I'm now trying to match new mahogany to old and I will report back......:eek:

I found that the easiest way is to oil and/or varnish the interior with one coat before installing the new ribs/planking. It's easy to match the new material after that and know that you have a good match once further coats of varnish are applied.

Tried this once from the suggestion of a woodworker...Replace the new ribs before you use the stripper...use some of the stripped "gunk" and rub it into the new wood...amazing how you can use it to match the old wood...At least it did on a 16 Chestnut I did...Havent tried it yet on those dark stained ribs on others......Nothing ventured, nothing gained!/B]

Back