Some trailer advice please...

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I've been looking at a postings in this Forum about canoe trailers and have come away with some recommendations. At the moment I'm looking at a Trailex Aluminum trailer model SUT 200-S. But I wonder how well this thing handles on the road as it weighs only 125# - say maybe 200# with a canoe. Won't it jump up & down like crazy since it's so light? And won't that potentially damage the canoe?

Presently I use a modified utility cart - the type that uses a 4x8 piece of plywood for the floor - and I use 3 40# bags of water softener salt to weigh it down so it handles reasonably well on the road.

So... anybody have experience with these types of light weight trailers?

Hi Howie,

The trailer's suspension is most important.

You may have read other posts on the site that recommend you do not carry a canoe on a trailer upright and that appears to be the trailer option you're looking at.

Light trailers with light sprung suspension are fine for hauling canoes, but I always rack them on the gunnels.

Here's a link to an eBay listing with a decent trailer. I've been to their plant in Holland, MI. and they make a very nice trailer. You may may be able to find something like it near you or check out shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Canoe-4-k...566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec8d68116

Good luck,
Paul

Right - I agree... I can see that trailering upright would put stress on just a few ribs as opposed to the gunnels when trailering upside-down. I wonder if there's a way for the keel to absorb some of the stress... or maybe make the trailer's side pads wider. Have to think about that... But I'm thinking that convenience - not to mention saving my back - might trump all. Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• Rack-1.jpg
    Rack-1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Rack-2.jpg
    Rack-2.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 261
Macky! Hi there - haven't heard from you in a while. Have you worked on the Penn Yan Hunter at all?
A tub a water you say... That'd solve the weight problem for sure. But water isn't compressible, so it'd be a stiff ride! Not to mention a bit sloppy for the car behind me. But maybe if the 'tub' was instead a rubber tube so it'd act as a shock absorber... Now you've done it - you've brought out the engineer in me.

Advice on Canoe trailer
07-23-2011, 05:47 PM

I don't know how to create the link to old threads but we sort of beat this subject to death two years ago. I have several thousand miles on my trailer with the OT and have not had any damage.

Trailesx

This year I fixed an older Trailex. I made the pads larger, added tongue jack, added new wheels, and new lights. I tow a Gheenoe 15' flat back 'glass canoe that is 44" wide. the trailer weighs about 115#. I have no problems except the 5.70 x 8" tires require water that is a bit deeper and thus more difficult to float the canoe off/on. It had 4.80's before.

Back