So why won't the canoe sell?

timringo

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all,

I don't have a clue what I am doing wrong here - I posted my '41 Old Town with the intent of selling it. Perhaps I listed it for too little an asking price - and folks are suspect.

I just don't know.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Tim

If I were near NC, I'd probably buy it. There's possible reason number one - distance...

Could be lots of other reasons. You've only listed for a week and are relying on methods that require folks to seek out your ad, so you need patience. I sell a fair number of canoes through my website, but only occasionally do I sell one within a week or month of posting it.

Sure, the price point could raise a flag with some folks, but others will come and at least inspect it, eventually.

If you want to sell it in a week, go Ebay.

Why the canoe? Where's Greenbush?

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Where's Greenbush? I am originally from Canton, way up north, eh?

Regards,
Tim

Hi, Tim-- First, I need to comment on the nice job you did on your boat. It looks beautiful. When I finally had the money to buy a fully-restored canoe, I chose to look in the WCHA classifieds because I knew I'd likely find something that was meticulously restored, with an eye to honoring the boat itself and its history. I don't know if my thoughts can help you at all, but as a recent buyer of a restored canoe, found in the WCHA classifieds, I'll share them.

I wanted to buy a fully restored canoe because I can't do the work myself... and my friend who can, already has enough on his plate. Buying a fully restored canoe meant I had to save up more money. So maybe these are important factors -- not what you are charging for your canoe so much as there being someone ready to buy-- someone who wants a canoe like the one you're selling, who has the money available right now.

If you've done much eBay buying/selling, you know there are times of the year when folks have more money available to spend... or more time to look at eBay listings. Do canoe-sales slow at the end of summer, when we're getting the kids ready for another school year and volunteering to coach a team...? Maybe you just need to wait a bit, if you can afford to do that.

Good luck!
Kathy

Canoe Honor

Hi,

Someone named Kathy replied to my post, and I should thank her for doing so.

Ah yes, the honor of the canoe. My family is into the concept of trying to be original as possible. Hence the meticulous restoration of the Old Town Canoe.

I don't know why we do this, but the concept of originality has been in my family since 1760 or so. This is as far back as I can go.

So thanks to Kathy - the canoe will stay in my house until I can find a great home for her.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

I've lived in various parts of the deep south for much of my life, and for quite a few years I've thought about the antique canoe market in this part of the US. There are lots of wooden canoes in the south, and they are just as much appreciated, at least in the sense of their beauty, by people here as elsewhere. On the other hand, there may not be as much an appreciation among the general public of the rich history, details of construction, and other deeper aspects of beautiful and functional hand-made boats. As a simple example, more people in the northeast than in the southeast are likely to know the name "Rushton."

That said, there are plenty of outlets for wooden canoes in the south (but as Dan wrote, a week isn't much time). My family and I attend antique/wooden/classic boat shows all over the south each year. The first of the season, and the largest according to the organizers, is Mt. Dora (FL) in March, and then there are more in all southern states from March 'till November.

The next one we’re off to is in Charlotte, NC, Sept. 8-10, and then shortly after, we’ll be on the coast of SC for another. Since Charlotte is pretty close to Mebane, you might want to attend with fliers about the canoe for sale. Maybe even bring it to the show (you must be an ACBS member to display, but at least it’ll be on the truck in the parking lot). If you do come down, look for the Grace gang with a display of antique canoes. We would enjoy meeting you.

Michael

Canoe history

Here is the canoe history revealed...

Regards,
Tim

Greetings,

I think I can answer most of your questions...and give you some background on the canoe.

I am fairly sure that the fore and aft deck were replaced. The planks are all original. I am not sure about the yoke. According to the literature that I received from Old Town, this canoe was marketed as the "50 Lb. Canoe". This would be for the 13-footer - the weight of my 15-footer is listed as 58 pounds, but I really do not have a clue how much it actually weighs.

And now the history of the canoe.

My parents had some friends that used to live in Albany, and they bought a cottage on Big Bowman Pond in Sand Lake, NY back in the early 1980's. The hull of this canoe was found in the crawlspace of the cottage. The canoe was given to my parents, and they restored it in 1983 (or thereabouts), and they gave it to my brother, who has since given it to me. It's been used maybe a dozen times since it was restored.

In 2004 I wet sanded and painted the canoe with 5 coats of Shipendec enamel paint. I did absolutely nothing to the interior except clean it with soap and water. The interior finish is in excellent shape, and has not been altered in any way since the restoration in 1983-ish. It could use a little polyeurethane touch-up, but that's all.

Regarding the number of owners, I am not sure. However, since the serial number is clearly visible, I suspect that this canoe did not see much use - rather, I think the canoe was the victim of mother nature and improper storage up until the early 1980's. It has been garage stored ever since.

Tim,

You're asking why a canoe hasn't sold after only 1 week????

You need to be patient.

I suspect that there is a very small market for restored W/C canoes, just finding someone even interested will take time, much less someone interested enough to buy it.

With just a quick look at the adds on this site, there are about 160 canoes listed for sale, most being in good condition or restored in some way. Some have been listed sense November 2004, almost 2 years.

BTW, I suspect you have it priced right if you want to sell it fast. Depending on buyer (and location), it's probably worth between $1000 and maybe $1500-1600.

Also, even if it was closer to me (I'm in MN) I wouldn't buy it, as I don't buy restored canoes, only projects. I recently bought a Shell lake with an old restoration for $400, that I regret, it's the 1st and only canoe purchase I've regretted, not because of the money but because it was restored and not original.

If it was a project, it would likely sell much faster, as there seems to be alot of folks looking for rundown canoes to fix-up.

Dan

Canoe is in a new home

Well now,

Thanks for all of your posts. The canoe has sold, and I hope and trust that it has gone to a good home. I think my handshake and a look in the eye of the buyer confirmed this, but you never know. After all, it is out of my hands now.

Best regards,
Tim

Back