Snappy teak-nu a little blotchy

michaelrandrews

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I followed the directions to the letter and as the canoe is drying it seems a little blotchy some gray spots throughout. Tomorrow I will wet the canoe and hit again with part two. I would really like to achieve an even brightness. Any of your suggestions or wisdom is greatly welcomed.

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    436.9 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Hi Michael,

I think it's looking pretty good, I'd give it another hit of both parts, concentrating on the areas that are still a bit dirty/stained.

My experience is limited, but I don't believe it will look like new wood. It will be lighter and cleaner, but it will stilll have variations in color and in dark and light.

Also, once you put the oil on it will/should take on that nice golden color and looka bit more even.

Dan

The panic is subsiding. The second shot of part two is bringing out the spotting. If I may offer a tip. I put part two in a spray bottle and diluted with it water 1:1 making this job go faster and smoother.

I second the thinking that it looks pretty good Michael. I've done my fair bit of refinishing of antique guitars, old furniture (as well as a relatively small bunch of canoes) and it's pretty hard to get a new look without taking a layer of wood off. Maybe just one more shot at cleaning and I'd think you'd be ready to go.

It's just my opinion but I think the patina of a well loved guitar, canoe, table (what-have-you) should be kept. In old musical instruments and antique furniture (and for me, wooden canoes) the patina is something one does not touch. Cardinal rule number 1. That is the testament to the life experience of the object.

Back