Shellac problem

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Friends,

Last fall I acquired one of Jerry S. Willow Wisp solo canoes on Craigslist. I has a shellac bottom. I have never been a fan of shellac - just don't like the look but this boat already had shellac so I figured I would freshen it up and use it. The existing shellac was worn in many areas right down to the filler. I sanded the whole bottom and masked off along the shellac/paint line. I bought some shellac flakes and mixed them with alcohol according to the directions. I gave the canoe bottom three coats. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. The areas that were worn through to the filler are still nearly as visible as they were before I started. The areas that were not worn are just darker and the whole thing is splotchy, not even a little bit even in color. Maybe I was expecting too much, but now I have a canoe that only a mother Lac Beetle could love and only then on payday after a couple beers. All I accomplished was reaffirming to myself that I don't like the look of shellac. All of which brings me to my question which I should have asked before I started. Can I paint over shellac?

Jim

There are some Old Town build records that indicate they occasionally used shellac under the interior varnish so my guess is that paint would probably bond to it. Good luck,

Benson

As indicated above, call Jerry. Beyond that, you could put some shellac on some material, sand it lightly, and paint over it, to see how well it works. My best guess is that it will work fine, but you'll feel more confident about doing this if you see for yourself, so I strongly encourage that "extra" work....

I have used shellac several times to seal wood that was seeping pitch, or to seal painted surfaces that had been marked with a marking pen that would bleed through new paint. Shellac is commonly used as a primer or sealer, so I would think that there should be no problem painting over it. Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow both shellac canoe bottoms, so either should be able to give sound advice.

I think shellac bottoms are utilitarian in function. They are rather splotchy, but I still like the two tone and tripping nature of them. If you scuff it with 220 grit and paint I think you will be fine if you want to paint.

What color shellac? Some is nearly clear (blonde), some others may cover better (garnet). Also, like many things, thin coats are best, and may avoid some splotchy-ness.

The brush stroke is also different. You can't work it like paint. The upper coat softens the underlying coat, so you just need to lay it on and keep a wet edge. There are some videos on YouTube that may help. You can dye shellac, but I have not tried this.

I still like shellac for various things inside and outside of the canoe.

Last edited:
One of the most popular traditional stain-blocking primers is Zinsser B-I-N primer, which is a white pigmented shellac primer. They claim you can successfully paint over it with just about any sort of paint, though they do sometimes suggest sanding it to 220 grit for good tooth. I don't believe there is anything magical in there - it's mostly shellac and titanium dioxide to make it opaque for good hiding power. I can't imagine sanding your shellac a bit for tooth and covering it with enamel will be a problem on a canoe.

That is the way a shellacked bottom looks, blotchy as all get out. It is an acquired taste that not all are fond of.

Thanks guys for all your comments. I used amber colored shellac and may mix up another batch and give it another few coats and see what it looks like before I throw in the towel and paint. I bought the canoe for Jean so looks are just as important as function. We are heading to Saratoga today for a Lady A concert so I will be away from a computer until Monday noon.

Thanks again, you guys are the best.

Jim

Three coats wasn't enough. Last tripping bottom we did was on 15' and I think we ended up with 8+ coats before we were satisfied. More material will help - It will still have a splotchy look but not nearly as bad as now.

Just put a few extra coasts on the worn areas and then give the whole bottom another coat or two. The shellac is thin and it does not build up or look like paint. The spotty color is "character". You would pay big bucks for that at the restoration shop! Don't worry about how it looks today because after you use it just a bit its going to look different. Thats even more "Character". After you scrape the bottom a bit you'll say" Boy am I glad I scraped shellac instead of the finish painted bottom". Don't fight it so hard. Feeeel the power of the shellac and you'll learn to love it.
Or go ahead, give it hard sanding and paint over it.
Rollin

Back