Serial number.

BNick

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello WCHA.
I have Old Town canoe # 69632 18.
Can you send me the build form for this boat?
Thank you.
Nick Biles

The build record for this canoe is available at the link below from a previous request. Feel free to reply here or there if you have any other questions.

Benson

I think this is an Old Town serial number 0033 -17 Any help would be appreciated. thank you
IMG_6104.jpeg

IMG_6104.jpeg

The serial numbers for Old Town canoes don't commonly begin with "00" so my guess is that there is at least one hidden digit. The build record for their number 10033 is 17 feet long but doesn't have the outside stems shown in your pictures. Can you provide pictures showing the serial numbers and surrounding areas from both stems? Pictures of the decks and interior could also help. Thanks,

Benson

My guess is that you have a Penn Yan Owasco model with serial number OC33 that was probably built between 1948 and 1960. See the link below for more information. Pictures of the decks could confirm this at Todd suggested. There are no detailed build records available for Penn Yan.

Benson

Last edited:
What are the decks?

The decks are the large triangular pieces of wood at the ends. The page at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/specific.gif has a diagram which shows these and some other terminology. The page at the link below can help identify canoes from the shape of the decks. These examples clearly show the distinctive differences between the decks of Penn Yan and Old Town canoes. The exterior paint color of your canoe may also be original.

Benson

Last edited:
more pics of the Penn Yan

Attachments

• IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6183.jpeg
    IMG_6183.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6184.jpeg
    IMG_6184.jpeg