Serial Number search ? Ceshtnut>

Don Fillman

Serial number is 14 021032
14foot, Canvas cedar Identical construction to a Peterborough 15 foot that i also have. Any thoughts. The width is 30/31 although the canoe may have rounded a bit over the years , Depth= 13
Thanks

Pictures

IMG_3693.jpgIMG_3694.jpgIMG_3695.jpgIMG_3696.jpgIMG_3697.jpg

elk?

I believe I have the exact same canoe in square stern. Ribs and planking look exact and especially the seats (which are currently on my kitchen table awaiting final sand and varnish). Mine has a keel but your"s may or may not. I found the 4 digits part of model #(6087) on the bowstem but see now from your pics that there is more preceding or following- even the angle and look of the stamp looks exactly like mine. From pics and measurements I sent to dragonfly, he felt it was a chestnut Elk (14') or Deer (15'). Good luck on your search
gary hennessy
garyh88@live.com

Maybe a Fox.

From the catalogue specs:

"Bow & stern slat seats, centre thwart, flat shoe keel.
# 10 canvas, enamelled red or green.
Ribs 3/8"" thick x 1 1/2"" wide spaced 1 1/2"" apart."

Canadian Canoe

Hi Don
Been doing lots of poking around on this one, and appreciate all tips I've had with mine but can't believe it's a Chestnut. I have a Chestnut, and have looked at plenty, and just can't see any similarities (in planks, ribs, trim, seats, fasteners- anything). If you look on ebay (.ca for the Canadian site) for restored cedar canoes you'll see the same canoe I have, and I think you as well, though not in square stern, being sold from Ontario. His number research led him to Canadian Canoe Co.- and your comment about being the same as a Peterborough is valid as when they were allied with Chestnut and Peterborough, Peterborough would mill the wood for both companies located in Peterborough to gain efficiency. So, I'm about 90% on mine as a late 40's/ early 50's Canadian Canoe Co. boat, made in Peterborough Ontario- would be nice to confirm with a # check but not sure that records exist or explain much. A mystery within an enigma within a mystery
cheers
Gary

Chestnut built and sold second grade canoes which this is. You won't find any information in their catologues. In 1970's Canada they were mainly sold by Eatons and the Hudson Bay Co. although Simpson Sears sold a few also. These canoes were built on standard Chestnut forms and available in 14', 15' and 16'. The will have only one crude center thwart usually, but not always, fastened with two bolts rather than the usual four bolts. They came with either prospector style slatted seats or crude babiche seats. These seats were fastened directly to the inwales without any spacers. They all have 1.5" ribs. Every one I have seen had a shoe keel. Sometimes Chestnut would put a small rectangular decal on the bow deck but many had no manufactures identity other than the serial number. One model that they offered was made on the 16' Prospector form. This is a real find as it is 10 pounds lighter [only 65 lbs.] and can be easlly modified with seat spacers and a deceint thwart. PS, I happen to have a freshly restored one available for adoption if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Back