Serial Number Check

Scot

Greetings! New Member - long-time canoeist - Transplanted Canadian Looking for information on an Old town Canoe #1950's model16' #156659 - looking to restore this canoe...thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the WCHA. The Old Town canoe with serial number 156659 is a 16 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, Otca model with a keel. It was built between November, 1951 and February, 1952. The original exterior paint color was bright red. It shipped on April 29th, 1952 to Pompton Plains, New Jersey. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck with the auction,

Benson

Attachments

• 156659.gif
    156659.gif
    41.1 KB · Views: 167
Scott,
Hope you win the auction. I've been communicating with the seller - he's very close to where I live.
I have 2 other Old Towns "in process," so I'm not going after this one.
My wife is tolerant and supportive, but why push my luck.

I also recently joined WCHA but have been a canoeing nut for 50 years now.

Update, later in the day...after talking with my wife...
If you don't win the auction and are still looking for an OTCA, I have a 17' one from 1923 that I'm trying to decide if I want to fix it.
It will need inner and outer gunwales (though these could be spliced, I wouldn't), keel also needs to either have section spliced in, replacement or not using.
Both stems appear solid. Has 2 cracked ribs, but not adjacent.

Last edited:
Thanks Old_Paddler - although I am probably as old as you...
The canoe on eBay may be too expensive by end of auction - but we'll see...
I have mine for now an 18'6" White Guide design I made from Gil Gilmartin's book...best boat I have ever paddled.
Not looking to spend much money at the moment so we'll see what the auction brings...

Have a great Holiday season...Cheers!

Scott,

In 1964 I had the honor to paddle an Old Town OTCA that my Scout Master had, she was from the 20's or 30's. I was hooked for life. She's still in use today by the Troop.

In the early 80's I bought a 1944 Old Town Yankee that I repaired (vs. restored). I used fiberglass rather than canvas for strength because she needed ribs replaced and I didn't have the wood working skills needed. I had to sell her to pay the bills in 1992. I loved that boat and hated to sell her - she was a pleasure to paddle. I've wanted another wood canoe ever since then.

This fall I bought my "bucket list" canoe - an Old Town Yankee that was built a month before I was born. She hung in a garage for 40 years and doesn't need much wood work - which is a good thing. My wood working skills are very limited. Thankfully I have a mentor who has offered to help me re-canvas her when I have her refinished. I can't wait for Spring!

If you don't win the 1951 OTCA and are interested in a restoration project, let me know.
The 1923 OTCA is basically solid but needs a skilled hand to bring her back to life.

If you have built a canoe, the 1923 is well within your skill level. I am intimidated by the wood work needed. Even with a mentor, I doubt I could restore this canoe as it should be done.

I'm not far from where the person selling the canoe on is - I am in Orange County, NY and would love to see this canoe find a good home.

Old Paddler...

Thanks for the information - on the 1923 OTCA - I may well be interested...
My Guide is 18'6" and I am still OK handling it on portages - but see myself giving it to my Daughter and her Hubby for their family canoe...
My wife and I need a shorter one, and as time goes on, one that is more manageable for us. I thought of a kevlar - but I really love paddling
the old designs and feeling the warmth of the wood - especially since I made the boat I am moving along in - I think these same sentiments would apply to a restoration...

The problem with the auction is that everyone may be like vultures waiting until the last minute and push it over the top of my ver limited price range...we'll have to wait until tonight to see, I guess.

Do you have pics on your '23 - and perhaps a suggestion of a price?

By the way thanks for the information and comraderie (sp) I hoped that this would be what this site was all about...

Have a happy Holiday season!

Cheers!

Scot

There are pictures posted in the serial number search forum.
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?11597-Old-Town-OCTA-SN-80058-17

I'd sell it to the right person for about what the current bid is on eBay.
It deserves to be restored by someone who has the skill.

This site is great. Many good people on it.

Note that I recently sold one of the first Grumman Aircraft Bethpage canoes made (1945 or 1946 - 3 digit sn) to the person who offered me the 2nd highest amount. The higher offer person would not have treated that historic canoe with the respect it deserved.

Last edited:
Back