Serial No. 15416 16

Yeadon

I'm seeking information on Old Town Canoe No. 15416 16. I recently acquired this canoe, and am starting a restoration.

Thanks!
Tim

Hello Tim,

Old Town 15416 is a 16 foot CS (common sense or middle) grade HW (heavy water) model canoe with red Western cedar planking, CLOSED spruce gunwales, ash decks/thwarts/seats and a keel. Originally it was auto gray. There's a notation at the bottom of the record that's hard to read, but these sorts of things indicate something different was done to the canoe and maybe someone will know what that was. Anyway, your canoe (if this is the correct record) has 1-1# (one, one pound) 5/5 [something] ?/2 [something]. It was shipped somewhere on June 14, 1911. So, the ol' girl just turned 100.

The canoe's destination can be a factor in deciding if this is the correct record, but I couldn't read that part. Old Town may be able to pull the original for you and get a better scan.

Image of the scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

Kathy

Attachments

• ot15416.jpg
    ot15416.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 190
Thank you very much! That's fantastic info.

The canoe is here in Seattle, where the grandson of the former owner brought it here in hopes of getting it restored. This is what he told me about the canoe:
The canoe started out its life as a Boy Scout boat at Camp Russell, NY. When the BSA updated to aluminum canoes some time in the '60's, they sold the wooden ones, in various states of disrepair. My grandfather bought this particular one for his camp at Lake Pleasant, then later moved it to Piseco Lake, both in New York's Adirondack Park, where it lived until he bought a fiberglass boat, probably in the early '90's.

This is the canoe I learned to paddle, but I haven't had the time to restore it (as had been my intention) since he gave it to me, and its condition has continued to deteriorate. I would very much like someone with the ability, equipment, and energy to bring this boat back to life before it's too late. While I would not presume any ownership of this canoe in the future, being allowed to witness the repair and finished product would mean a great deal to me.

It's great to have a bit of info to relay back to him, too.

Below, before I got her, she was stored upside down in a backyard.
6007163973_604f3eeee7_z.jpg

Since then, I've peeled off the remnants of a previous restoration from the 1960s, which included a polyester resin/woven mat covering.
6013292083_41035dcd8a_z.jpg

I now plan to restore her back to as original specs as I can.

Back