Seliga paint source

Keith P

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello Everyone,

Starting to think forward to the next step of my canoe rebuild. I really like the paint color that Joe used on his canoes. In particular the teal green in his book. Does anyone know where he used to purchase this from??

Thank You,

Keith

Keith,

I tried to figure out what "teal green" looks like,
and found a site, http://www.anthus.com/Colors/Colors_T.html,
that shows a color system and it had 9 teal greens. :)

So I'm not sure what "teal green" is, but I "think" he used Interlux "Malichy Green" (sp) on mine. It's a deep dark green.

Joe used a variety of paints on his canoes, and whatever color the customer wanted, but with that said, about 70% were a dark green of some shade.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan-

"teat green"??! Lord-a-mighty, I don't know what that would look like either, and I don't think I want to know!

M

I need to watch my spelling

Sorry about the typo. Should have been teal. I will check the Interlux site.

Michael, Michael, Michael, :)
Oh well, fat fingers, at least I got 2 "teals" spelled right.

But, Keith, did you find what you were looking for?
Not sure what interlux carries anymore, there's been some talk of them discontinueing the standard, low end enamels.

Dan

I have a Seliga made by Joe in 2003. It sure looks like the color of the canoe in the Seliga book. Joe told me mine was Interlux Malachy Green.

I bought a quart last summer and touched up some scratches from a BWCA trip (the canoe never touched the shoreline but you just can't see all of those rocks just under the surface!). It matched very well, except it seemed to be more glossy than Joe's paint job. I see Interlux makes a Brightside Flattening / Gloss Reducing Additive to reduce the gloss of their Brightside enamels. I haven't tried it yet to determine if that tones down the gloss for an even better match.

Marlyn

Some more "color".

Deb took pics for the book over the course of the summer, 2001, and at least 3 canoes were shown in the book, S/N 01 652 5, 01 653 7 and 01 654 9.

652 and 653 are green, 654 is the red one shown at the end of the book.

Mine is 01 653 7, which I believe is the S/N Joe is stamping in the pics.

But, I still don't know what "teal" green looks like. :)

Dan

Hi to you too Dan,

Thanks. I guess my canoes are teal green. :) ie, the Interlux Malachy Green.

When I was doing the old one, I just got a dark green from Interlux, just luck it was what Joe also used.

On this other site, http://www.anthus.com/Colors/Colors_T.html, there were at least 25-30 color shades listed that included teal in the name.

Hmmm,

Dan

Which Interlux paint to buy??

It appears that "Malachy Green" is still available in the "Premium Yacht Enamel" line. Is this what everyone uses?? Or is there a different line of Interlux that is recommended. Also does anyone have a preferred vendor that they would recommend as a source??

Keith,

I generally use Jamestown, and sometimes Defender.
Basically, who ever has what i'm looking for at a reasonable price/including shipping. A CC number and a few days and it's on your door step.

As for what Joe used, I meet with his daughtors this weekend, and among other things, we looked at his old paint cans and paint info.

It appears that, for the most part, he used 3 brands of paint,
Pettet, Interlux and Valspar. I am planning to review the colors recorded in the record and try to determine which brands/colors were used.

and he used McKlosky (sp) Man-O-War spar varnish. (a red can)

Dan

Dont know if they have them in your area, but I was in "Boaters World" near Gloucester, MA last Sunday and they had plenty of that Malachy Green on the shelf along with a great variety of other colors...Next to the interlux was also a variety of Petit paints.... Also stopped in West marine and they had bascally similar supplies...

Blue,

Make sure you are comparing apples with apples - the problem is not so much the choice of colors, but the formulations of the paint. For example, we are looking specifically for Interlux Premium Yacht Enamel or Pettit Shipendec. The West Marine stores I've been to (one in WI, one in NY) have none (though you can get the polyurethane versions like Easypoxy). The West master catalog shows only shades of white in Brightside enamel and dead grass in Shipendec.

At assembly, a fellow who formerly worked for Interlux confirmed that they are dropping the alkyd enamel line. Its a shame because Brightside enamel and Shipendec were good products. At least we have Kirby's for the vintage colors and sheens, and Epifanes for the super-shiny autobody look.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Dan.....I do recall now that someone had mentioned that they were dropping the alklyd enamel line....I was just browsing for BRASS fittings for the w/c boat...Those stores are for the "other" kind of boaters:) /B]

Interlux Brightside Enamel

Just to be clear, I think the alkyd enamel that Interlux is droppng is their yacht enamel (Malachy Green and all those other colors we got used to). The Brightside line is a one-part polyurethane that replaces the alkyd topside enamels. Is anyone actually using the Brightside paints on canoes, and if so, how do they work?
Don in Vermont

Oops, you are correct Don. Brightsides is the one-part poly product. I've corrected my message above.

Cheers,
Dan

Don,

I used the one part poly on the Chestnut and it turned out fine. You have to work really fast ( 2 people is best) but coats just fine and wet sanding was good. Seems to stay somewhat flexible, no complaints. This was not a recanvass just a paint/varnish redo to get the boat in the water.

Ric

Attachments

• Cnut.jpg
    Cnut.jpg
    879.3 KB · Views: 311
Interlux Brightside (poly) Fire Red was used on this Louis Picard 16 footer. It coats well but dries really fast, guess it depends your local conditions. I used the Interlux Brushing Liquid and still got some brush marks, guess it depends on your technique (or lack of... in my case). It seems to stay softer longer than the Yacht Enamel and has about the same abrasion resistance after a few weeks. The third or fourth time I took it out, it took some water in: flushed a brace of ducks and the dog could'nt resist... When I got home there were some blisters along the plank seams. I left the canoe right-side up in the shade and the following morning the blisters were gone with no damage to the paint. Never had this happen with the other canoes painted with enamel, but I have heard that it does happen.

Best,

Louis Michaud
Rimouski, Quebec

Attachments

• MtCarlBigRed.jpg
    MtCarlBigRed.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 289
The 1978 Seliga I bought was painted by Joe using Valspar Sea Gold Yellow.

It had been widely touched up by the original owner with something other than that paint and the touch up paint was all over the bang rails - which were aluminium!

I called Joe and he told me about the Valspar Sea Gold Yellow. Kirby Paints actually had NOS Valspar Sea Gold Yellow in their warehouse - I bought 2 quarts. They added a sample to their computer and can now provide that color in their Kirby Marine Enamel. If you're chasing a Valspar (and they seem to have been purchased by some other company years ago) it might pay to call Kirby's and talk with them.

Back