Seat building

white cedar

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi: I want to build a few seats that are to be hand caned. I'm trying to figure out what size diameter holes, how many holes, the distance between the holes and the distance from the inside edge of the seat to the center of the holes?
Thanks for the information!

If the picture works, this is the re-caned Morris aft seat. I had a scrap of the original 1/8 in. cane that I matched. The frames are original. The hole centers are 1/2 in from the inside edge, and spaced 3/4 in. (equally spaced to accommodate the frame might be necessary). The holes are 3/16 in. with the corner holes about 7/32 in.

Attachments

• Aft Seat Cane1.jpg
    Aft Seat Cane1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Cane12.jpg
    Cane12.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 225
Are you trying to match an original seat or trying to make seats following a known correct "recipe"? The links that woodpile provided should provide a template for "normal" caning. Some builders did not follow the norms.. depending upon the builder you might end up with what are regarded as incorrect hole to hole spacing, smaller hole diameters and consequently smaller cane.

THANK YOU!! The information you have provided is what I was looking for. This is a new seat for a new solo.

Back