Sassafras (spelling?)

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I just picked up a nice piece of THAT wood and will attempt to make a paddle out of it...nice grain and a very light wo0d with flexibility!. Has anyone ever worked with this wood and are there any precautions I should take when carving it...I remember reading that it was used way back for planking by a Stephenson company in Canada prior to when canvas came in..i think! Any input would be appreciated

yes

It is used for paddles when it can be had. See Shaw and Tenney's site. I have a board of it and plan to make a paddle. I saw a paddle of S'frass once. Real nice. light weight.

thanks Dave!
I have a source for a lot of it and any length to 12'....expensive stuff but I only bought one board becasue I liked the weight and thought it would make a nice long lightweight paddle....I just finished one of Ash and am having a sketch/etch of an OT Otca engraved on it by a professional artist who is an associate of that lumber source...will post a pic when I get it back

I have carved several paddles of Sassafras. It is wonderful to work with as it gives off a "mentholated" kind of smell. Sassafrass is sometimes mixed in with lifts of ash or black ash at lumberyards. Nice if you can get it. Better if it's the same price as ash.

Sass-y Paddles.

I have two and they are my favorites! You cant go wrong with this lightweight, ash look-alike. Highly decay resistant and smelling of rootbeer, they are 30 years old and still look about new!

sassy-frass

So, what are the odds of finding sassafras? Any regular sources? All this talk makes me want to try my hand at it...

Sassafras (spelling)

As the former owner of Shaw & Tenney, I went on a search twenty years ago for sassafras of sufficient size for paddles. As there is no commercial use for sassafras, the only way it could be bought is in large quantities ( 2000 bf and up).
I went to the local R C & D (rural conservation and development) division of the US Forest Service. They said that it only grew large enough in western Kentucky and Tennessee and southern Indiana. They got in touch with the Licking River, KY R C & D who did not have any luck in finding it, so they gave it to the Tennessee Forest Service who included it in their monthly Bulletin. the result was that a couple of mills in Indiana had some available, which I purchased. That's a long story, but I wanted to point out that the government sometimes works pretty hard for us.
FYI......Sassafras is expensive because there is very little use for the offal after cutting the clear.....it's a great wood for paddles; light and flexible, yet strong......while all woods darken with exposure to light, sassafras continues to darken throughout it's life......I have 15 year old paddles that are the color of walnut.
Keep looking, it's worth the search!

Back